LSAT Writing - Should I reset it?

kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
edited September 2020 in August 2020 LSAT 795 karma

Hi all. I took my LSAT Writing sample for the August 2020 test at the beginning of September. With 18 minutes on the clock, the program froze and deleted everything I had written. I speed rewrote my essay but obviously it wasn't the best it could be. When I got the receipt of my essay, I saw a typo, too. I called LSAC the next day and told her about my issue and asked to reset it, and she said she would. Now it's September 16 and I'm still not seeing any change under my LSAT Writing tab. Score release is supposed to be in two days.

I'm on the phone with LSAC again and the lady (who is super nice) told me that she had no record of me asking to reset my sample and if I reset it now, I may not get my August score back until October 7. I'm signed up for the October LSAT so obviously I'd like to get my August LSAT back before then. She read my sample and told me that it's really good and told me there was only one typo in it. Is is worth resetting my sample? I'm applying with a low GPA so I really want every other part of my application to be the best it could possibly be, but I'm wondering if I'm just putting too much energy into something that's not really worth it. It is unscored, after all.

Comments

• LS-AT WalkerLS-AT Walker Alum Member
    66 karma

That is a tough one. I would say just read your sample and decide if you think it is a fair representation of your writing. If it is, I would keep it. I wouldn’t worry at all about the typo, law schools understand that it is rushed and not a polished product. Additionally, you might consider keeping it and submitting an addendum with your applications if you think it’s necessary. So sorry that this happened to you, LSAT Writing is a total mess right now. They have some serious work to do.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I have absolutely no expertise in this, but I would be inclined to agree with LS-AT Walker.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    I have absolutely no expertise in this, but I would be inclined to agree with LS-AT Walker.

@"LS-AT Walker" said:
    That is a tough one. I would say just read your sample and decide if you think it is a fair representation of your writing. If it is, I would keep it. I wouldn’t worry at all about the typo, law schools understand that it is rushed and not a polished product. Additionally, you might consider keeping it and submitting an addendum with your applications if you think it’s necessary. So sorry that this happened to you, LSAT Writing is a total mess right now. They have some serious work to do.

Thanks to you both. My writing sample got approved today and I was able to read it. It's not too bad, just the one typo. I hope law schools won't be bothered by it. I'm keeping it and will ask for the option to take another writing sample when I retake the LSAT, just to be safe. I'd rather get my August score back on score release day tomorrow.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@kilgoretrout Very glad it worked out for you.