Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). URM Question - 7Sage Forum

URM Question

Apologies if this isn’t the right place for this question.

On my LSAC profile and on applications I have been selecting two race/ethnicities, one of which is categorized as a URM and the other a non-URM. I’m curious if that’s something that would affect my applications/status (would I be considered a URM?), and if I could expect a URM boost. I have a little bit of a non-traditional app so I’m trying to account for everything correctly when using the predictor tool to help figure out where to apply and what my chances might be.

Thanks.

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello,
    If you select both URM and nonURM status the school will expect you to write a diversity statement on how this changes your view or how you have a different perspective how this and tie that into how that would make you a better lawyer. I would imagine that you can expect to get boost.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

Things having to do with race/ethnicity can really be so tricky, especially when people are mixed race/look a different way than people would typically expect. I would say you'd still be counted as a URM, because that part of your identity has still influenced your life and perspective. If you're writing a diversity statement as was mentioned above, that would definitely solidify your status as URM applicant. Good luck!

• T14plssssT14plssss Member
    134 karma

I'm half Latino, and from what I've gathered, if you're at all a URM, you're counted as a URM.

On the diversity statement:
    URM % is important to law schools. Writing a diversity statement is good if you feel like your ethnic background provides you with a unique personal and intellectual perspective, but I wouldn't write a diversity statement about race unless you truly feel that it will be compelling. A good diversity statement can help you, but a bad diversity statement can keep you out of a school you would have gotten in to. Be cautious. A school is not gonna take away your URM status for not writing a diversity statement. Diversity is important to good schools. Strong applicants are important to good schools. If you are a diverse, strong applicant, law schools will want you whether you write the diversity statement or not.