Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Test in 9 days. Advice?

VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
in General 2054 karma

So approximately 9 days from this moment I will have finished my LSAT. I am still struggling to eke out any little improvement this week, but I have read recommendations that people do not study too much the week of. For those of you who have taken this test, what were your plans leading up to the test. So far what I know is that I want to take a few times tests on Law Hub this week, maybe Saturday and Sunday. My exam starts in the evening local time, so my plan day of is to sleep in, exercise a bit, take a nap, and relax ahead of the test. Maybe warm up with an easy and fun LG or review 7sage lessons then grab protein heavy meal (raw fish and broccoli I think) an hour or so before.

Anyone have advice or experience?

For personal context I am an extreme super-splitter trying to hopefully use that Elle Woods LSAT to overcome an awful undergrad GPA enough to get both admission and scholarship to T14. Range has been incredibly consistent, 174-177 all month, but I am hoping these last few tests will help me to score at/above my upper range by improving on even one or two weaknesses. I feel like I need another two weeks, but I do not have that.

However, hopefully other people will find this helpful so if you can preface whether your advice is general or specific to me that would be great.

Comments

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

I did not so great on my LSAT so I'm not sure how good my advice is, but I would say mentality is the most important thing for you right now. Don't be nervous about it, be excited for it, and remain calm. The morning of my test I did some logic games and some LR that I knew I would get 100% on, just for the little mental boost and to warm up. I know you want to do some PTs, and that's fine, but I would just think about how much a less than satisfactory score on your PT would affect your self esteem going into next week. But other than that, work out, meditate, stay positive and know that you've got this. Your scores are incredibly high and there's no reason why the actual test should be any different. You clearly have put in the work for this and know what you're doing.

Just as an aside, I don't even think you need the extra two weeks. I read somewhere on 7Sage that scoring a few points higher when you've already got a really high score won't really affect your application that much, since you're already in the what, 99th percentile? You're absolutely killing it. Good luck!!!!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@kilgoretrout Thanks for the encouragement. I think your advice is pretty good. I think, for me, I am not too worried about bombing an exam because I have been so consistent, and getting more practice under timed conditions with law hub is probably beneficial. I have used it once and did not like it. Even if I bomb it, that makes my decision easier since it just means I have to push back to December or apply next year. My undergrad GPA is unfortunately at the opposite end of the spectrum, I would guess easily bottom 5 percentile for any T14. Consequently I have to hope that my grad school grades and LSAT convince them that I am both worth a shot and a big scholarship. At T14 schools where they probably have several dozen 175 or above scores that may not be enough to get the money. Looking at super splitter results at T14 the good news is acceptance is a distinct possibility. The bad news is that big scholarships are exceedingly rare, almost non-existant. I would guess almost no one with a GPA similar to mine has an LSAT above 175 and a grad school GPA of almost 3.9 though, so not only do I not have any data to go on, I do not know if most admissions officers even have experience evaluating someone like me. Generally people with an undergrad GPA like mine struggle a lot just to gain admission into any graduate programs, and are probably not typically the sort of people that pursue multiple graduate degrees. I can not afford another round of grad tuition though, so I have to do whatever I can to get schools to not only take a chance but heavily fund a very unusual candidate. It will come down to how intriguing and risky a unicorn they believe me to be. I fully expect mostly accept and no scholarship or rejection/WL from T14 schools. Realistically I don't think I have a strong chance in the T14, but the quality of programs and outcomes for what I am interested in are hard to find outside T14. Nor are non-T14 graduates usually able to make it into academia, which I may still decide I want to do someday in the future.

However, as is my habit these days it seems, I just vented about my internal pressure again, which is probably not particularly useful to anyone else.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

@VerdantZephyr said:
    @kilgoretrout Thanks for the encouragement. I think your advice is pretty good. I think, for me, I am not too worried about bombing an exam because I have been so consistent, and getting more practice under timed conditions with law hub is probably beneficial. I have used it once and did not like it. Even if I bomb it, that makes my decision easier since it just means I have to push back to December or apply next year. My undergrad GPA is unfortunately at the opposite end of the spectrum, I would guess easily bottom 5 percentile for any T14. Consequently I have to hope that my grad school grades and LSAT convince them that I am both worth a shot and a big scholarship. At T14 schools where they probably have several dozen 175 or above scores that may not be enough to get the money. Looking at super splitter results at T14 the good news is acceptance is a distinct possibility. The bad news is that big scholarships are exceedingly rare, almost non-existant. I would guess almost no one with a GPA similar to mine has an LSAT above 175 and a grad school GPA of almost 3.9 though, so not only do I not have any data to go on, I do not know if most admissions officers even have experience evaluating someone like me. Generally people with an undergrad GPA like mine struggle a lot just to gain admission into any graduate programs, and are probably not typically the sort of people that pursue multiple graduate degrees. I can not afford another round of grad tuition though, so I have to do whatever I can to get schools to not only take a chance but heavily fund a very unusual candidate. It will come down to how intriguing and risky a unicorn they believe me to be. I fully expect mostly accept and no scholarship or rejection/WL from T14 schools. Realistically I don't think I have a strong chance in the T14, but the quality of programs and outcomes for what I am interested in are hard to find outside T14. Nor are non-T14 graduates usually able to make it into academia, which I may still decide I want to do someday in the future.

However, as is my habit these days it seems, I just vented about my internal pressure again, which is probably not particularly useful to anyone else.

Hey, you didn't let us know about your grad school GPA! That's fantastic. I know you're stressed out right now and preparing for the worst, but I really think that your graduate GPA will show admissions officers that you're capable of performing really well academically and showing improvement. Not everyone had their head in the right place when they were 19, 20 years old (myself included, lol). If there are special circumstances that would explain your undergrad GPA you could also write an addendum. That being said a 3.9 grad school GPA and a 174-177 range LSAT looks like a really great candidate to me :)

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

Thanks. I am feeling good about getting in, just not getting 75%+ scholarships. I have done a PT the last two days and will do one tomorrow and Saturday and see if I can get another high score going into the exam.