Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bouncing back after bad PT results

Gz412326Gz412326 Alum Member
in General 92 karma
I just reviewed PT62 (exam conditions) and had my worst performance to date. I've reviewed all my incorrect answers but is that enough? What else can I do to help prevent this from happening again and be sure I'm moving forwards, not backwards. I've heard the PTs in the 70s are much more challenging so I want to make sure I get this under control now! Thanks guys!

Comments

• emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Don't let that one bad score ruin it for the rest. Maybe you were just having a long day.
  • Julia LJulia L Alum Member
    edited March 2015 354 karma
    I'm realizing there are soo many factors that influence your overall score. A PT score doesn't necessarily reflect how much you're progressing in your learning overall. With each question, there are many steps to your thinking process that results in you choosing an answer choice. If any of those steps is incorrect, it could lead to a wrong answer. And under timed conditions, it's way harder! So a bad PT score doesn't necessarily mean you aren't improving in general.

Going forward, during review you should really clarify what you were thinking when you decided on that answer choice. Why did you eliminate other answer choices, and why did you select the answer you did? It may reveal some bad thinking habits you have that you can work on. Are you blind reviewing according to the 7sage method? Circling questions you were unsure about and re-doing them without time pressure, before looking at the answers.

I think you can expect your score to fluctuate. Sometimes when I'm just too tired, my brain doesn't want to think! Get lots of rest. And just keep building good habits, so that they subconsciously become a part of you.
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    The best thing you can do at this point is not to let it affect your state of mind... 2 PT's before the actual test, I got a -14 on the games... :P don't worry about it... and also take a small break from the LSAT for a day or two.
  • alexroark5alexroark5 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    812 karma
    1 bad PT can happen to anyone for any number of reasons. However, there would be cause for concern if you are consistently experiencing significant fluctuations in scores. To me, this would be an indicator that there are definite weaknesses you have yet to address and those weak areas are occuring more frequently on exams where you score low and less frequently on exams where you score higher. You need to look at your track record and assess patterns, that is what this thing comes down to
  • JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma
    Don't worry about it; it happens! Always keep moving forward. I actually bombed the exact same PT. I reviewed it, took it with a grain of salt, and then moved on. What ever you do, don't let it affect your future progress.