PT66.S1.23 (P4) - Scientific Progress

Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
edited November 2020 in Reading Comprehension 2249 karma

If someone could help me out with this passage, I will be eternally grateful
23.) I just think B and D are saying the same thing? What is the difference? I found the answer in the first sentence of the passage but I think both B and D are paraphrasing it

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-66-section-1-passage-4-questions/

Comments

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

Whenever I read a RC passage I try to have three questions answered in my own words before looking at the questions. I am forming the answers to these questions as I am reading, but try to make sure I articulate them to myself before I going into the questions.

They are:
    - Main point
    - Purpose
    -Author's tone

For this passage my pre phrase for the purpose was: To tell us that science isn't always straightforward. This lined up with answer choice B nicely. But as to what is different between answer choices B and D, the difference is that answer choice D begins with: "take issue with the idea that...". To me this says that the author has a problem with science taking slow steady progress and while it also doesn't match my prediction I can't anything to support this assertion either. In fact, my author's tone pre phrase was " neutral/supports slow progress". Knowing that the author is supportive of slow steady progress makes answer choice D a non-contender.

• Willa.HaoWilla.Hao Yearly Member
    54 karma

ans B is right answer since in the passage, the author use the discovery of a means the atoms can be splited as an example, to illustrate sth.

ans D is wrong since the author is not take issue with sth (means oppose sth), but is illustrate sth.

hope it can help.

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    2249 karma

Hm. Because I saw this passage as: Scientific progress moves at a steady pace and the author uses the whole rest of the passage to show- no it doesn't. sometimes it moves in non-linear bursts. That's why I thought B and D were the same.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

@"ashley.tien" , Yes the author does use the passage to show that science moves in non-linear bursts. But the difference between answer choice B and answer choice D here is weather the author thinks that is a bad thing/problem ( which is what answer choice D states) or if the author is neutral or even supportive of the idea ( answer choice B). I would encourage you to go back to the passage and re read. Look for lines that support answer choice D and supports the idea that the author has a problem with this slow and steady progress. I couldn't find any personally but I think it may be easier for you to see if you specifically look for support. Selecting answer choice D for this question is mis interpreting the tone of the passage, which typically more than one question. In my opinion the most important things that we need to be searching for as readers is: the main point, tone and purpose of each passage.