Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keep a159?

ajh221ajh221 Core Member
edited November 2020 in November 2020 LSAT 7 karma

I scored a 159 on the LSAT Flex in November. I had been testing in the mid 160s and the environment I took the FLEX was distracting for part of the test, having said that, the score was still within the range of possible outcomes.

I'm debating taking the LSAT again in January but am concerned with applying on the later side. I have a 3.83 GPA from a top 50 undergraduate school and am looking to go to a T-30 (my top school falls within the 25-30 slot). I think the GPA will help but I'm not sure if it's enough.

Thoughts on whether I should keep the 159 or try and re-take it and apply later in the cycle?

Comments

• smileygeesmileygee Member
    55 karma

Even if you can get an extra point, I've heard January is well worth the retake!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

At that range an extra point or two in January could make a big difference # 27 UNC and Iowa both have a median LSAT of 161, but you are already between their 25th and 50th now (158 and 156). That may change at UNC given that scores/applications are up this year, but you also do not know for sure if you will improve. As I am sure you know your GPA is well above the 50th of both of those schools.

One option is applying now and sending them an email letting them know that you had extenuating circumstances during the test and feel that the score is not reflective of you abilities so you are retesting. I think it would be good to let them know they are your top choice as well at that time. You could ask them to reconsider your application if your score would prevent them from admitting you until January.

I am doing something similar for scholarship consideration. I am applying now (if I can get this personal statement right) and retaking in January to try to improve scholarship odds.