Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Knowing Alumni for Law School Application

JessicaLeighJessicaLeigh Core Member
edited December 2020 in Law School Admissions 78 karma

I happen to work for an attorney who graduated from my absolute dream law school. I have a low GPA (for their standards) so i am postponing my LSAT cycle another application cycle so I can have a high LSAT score to apply with. My GPA is in the 25th percentile of applicants they accept according to their most recent 509 report and my LSAT score is just under their 25th percentile. Since he is alumni of the school and a very prominent attorney in the state (public sector), I am wondering if this would have any effect on my application and if law schools take this into consideration to make me a more competitive candidate? I tried looking into this online but couldn’t find much. This law school is very competitive, in the Top 30 in the US... about a 20% acceptance rate. I want to be a competitive candidate as much as I can. Any information would be helpful. Thank you!

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited December 2020 4306 karma

I think it depends on how well this person knows you. The best recommendations come from people who know you well and can write about your abilities from personal observation. If this person can help you stand out then I think it'll be a great opportunity for you to have that recommendation. If they don't know you well and you're trying to make the recommendation work because they are an alum, I would suggest looking for other recommenders.

Depending on how long you've been out of school, law schools really like to see academic references too. They want to see your capabilities and ultimately that you are able to tackle the academic challenges you will face in school. The ability to speak to your research, writing, and analytical skills is one of the reason why law schools prefer academic letters of recommendation. I add this piece in case you didn't know to think about having an academic recommendation in addition to seeking the attorney's recommendation.

• edited December 2020 1952 karma

if this person meets all the criteria that you should consider getting a lor from (https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/how-to-pick-your-recommenders/), i think this letter which can also be a "school-specific lor," can uniquely add value to your app.
    and some schools just like having people who have connections with their alums. boston college law, for example, specifically asks you to write the names of the alums that you know.
    but this will not substitute for an academic letter, though. so keep that in mind, as well.
    good luck!