Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Price after the PDF ban

hihelloholahihellohola Alum Member
edited May 2015 in General 66 karma
Hello 7sage! As always, thanks so much for all the help and resources.
I was wondering if there will be a price discount since the PDFs of LSAT questions are now all gone. I really want to enroll in the Ultimate course but its quite over my budget. Thanks!

Comments

• emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 3462 karma
    I highly doubt it. Since the price that 7Sage offers it's 3 different course is already cheaper than every other LSAT prep in the market. Plus the PDFs do NOT make 7Sage. What makes 7Sage so great are JYs video lessons and of course this awesome community :)
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Second! Take price out of the equation and 7Sage is the best. Include price into the equation and 7Sage is, bar none, the most cost effective solution. Squeezing out those dollars will be totally worth it.

Or you can also try to get the regular course and upgrade later.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    I've heard they will be including a bonus PT explanation (one additional PT's worth of full video explanations, etc—a $30 value if purchased separately!)—but that the PDF's themselves were never really a part of the pricing. Licensing the questions themselves (to even show the LSAC content in a video requires licensing) is where the bulk of the cost comes from—and of course, none of that content is going away (thank the Lord!).
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    @dsclee1234240 I know LSAT prep materials can get pricey in the short term (i.e couple hundred, if not $1000+) but look at it from a long term perspective. You are investing "only" $1000 into your prep to maximize your LSAT score. If high enough, you can get scholarships that are worth more than $100,000 over 3 years. Sounds good enough for me. :P Never ever attend law school at sticker unless it's HYS but that's just me.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    ... not to mention achieving your dreams, life style, and salary $$$$
  • sabrina.schell5sabrina.schell5 Alum Member
    16 karma
    I also thought they would reduce the cost. No, the questions do not make the course. However, practice sets and prep tests are a pretty major part of any LSAT prep course. I thought they would reduce by a little--at least $50, maybe up to 150 on the most extensive course.
  • DerekzzzDerekzzz Alum Member
    46 karma
    A price discount seems reasonable since the original price is paid for PDF and video.
  • Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    edited April 2015 6866 karma
    This topic has been brought up over and over again. No, the original price paid was not for PDF and video - it was for licensing the questions. They were able to provide the PDF essentially for free, because you'd already bought the rights to those questions individually. Now, LSAC is restricting distribution in PDF form, but 7Sage still has to license every question in order to display it, so it costs them exactly the same as it did before to provide the videos to you. In short, nothing has changed on the cost side for 7Sage, so nothing is likely to change on the price side for end users.

Suggesting otherwise means you think 7Sage was charging you twice - once for licensing the problem in the video, and a second time for providing the PDF. In the $549 course, licensing 38 full LSAT exams is about 250 bucks worth of licensing fees (still low, since the newer preptests are more expensive). If you believe they were charging twice for each question, then that's $500 just for the questions alone. I hope the conclusion here is obvious.

From a practical perspective, that means you need to go buy a the books for 29-38 ($21.53 on Amazon), 52-61 ($22.37 on Amazon), and 62-71 ($25.19 on Amazon), and probably a box of nice erasers. If a sub-$100 outlay on top of the most ridiculously good deal on LSAT materials that currently exists is a deal breaker for you, then please consider what you're going to do once law school lays a $200,000 debt on your doorstep.

EDIT: And yes, I am fully aware that it sucks not to have PDFs. But unfortunately, 'sucking' is not the relevant decision-making factor here.
    7965 karma
    @"Jonathan Wang" said:
    If a sub-$100 outlay on top of the most ridiculously good deal on LSAT materials that currently exists is a deal breaker for you, then please consider what you're going to do once law school lays a $200,000 debt on your doorstep.
    Wow, well said. #perspective
    2116 karma
    You would need a biglaw gig for at least 5 years to service that kind of debt. And to get biglaw, you would pretty much need to go to a T14.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    @ddakjiking ...and for all that you would first need an LSAT prep course that's going to teach you the fundamentals and more.
  • xqr1s4f3edxqr1s4f3ed Alum Member
    edited April 2015 118 karma
    @ddakjiking ...False: I have friends who went whiteshoe Manhattan from Arizona State and Michigan State. It is totally possible to do BigLaw from a non-T14 school.
    2116 karma
    @focaliant I never said it was impossible, just used the phrase "pretty much"
    @ddakjiking said:
    And to get biglaw, you would pretty much need to go to a T14.
    http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/asu/msu/cornell/columbia/

It's just that a very good chunk of Biglaw gigs are for the T14 and the rest of the schools fight for the rest. As you get further out from T14, the higher ranked you need to be at your school in order to be considered for biglaw since your 1L GPA is heavily used by those firms.
    2013 employment indicates ASU (Arizona now ranked #26) and MSU (Michigan State now ranked #94) had about 8.8% and 4.7% biglaw placement rates, respectively. On the other hand, Cornell (now ranked #13) and Columbia (now ranked #4) had about 57.5% and 73.2% biglaw placement rates, respectively.

It's just really hard to assume that you'll be in the top 10-15% of your class if you go to say a school ranked #100. And the more debt you take on, it's hard to pay off that loan without biglaw, unless you devote your career to public interest and can get government forgiveness on it.

Now, if one had a full-ride to a respectable regional school with modest career aspirations (small-mid law, DA/PD, local PI), then I would totally advocate going that route over T14. A lot of us are in our 20's (exception for some of you older folks out there :P) and it's hard to grasp what $100k+ in debt is like at repayment after tuition increases+interest rates. I'm just all for minimizing debt.
    Anyways, that's just my take on choosing a school. lol
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    Yeah what he's saying is more if you want Big Law and want a decent chance of it without being the top of the class. Big law numbers go down decently once you leave the T14 and it becomes a lot more of where you are in your class rank that will likely be a determining factor at your big law chances. Of course it is possible but you really need to be up there at your school. T14 has more placement in you dont have to be in the top 10% and can still expect a good shot at getting it
  • xqr1s4f3edxqr1s4f3ed Alum Member
    edited July 2015 118 karma
    In general.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If you do your homework on Amazon, you can find used "like new" or "very good" copies of those 10 packs of PTs from LSAC for around $5-10 depending on how new the tests themselves are. Just read the description that the seller lists and as long as its not marked up you're good to go. I got 10 PTs for $5 that way to cannibalize for extra RC and LR drilling if need be. And seriously, you could by every one of those 10 packs new at retail and buy the 7Sage Ultimate pack and still have spent less than you would on most other programs that don't deliver nearly the level of quality that 7Sage does. All this griping about the price of 7Sage is really becoming tiresome; if law school is something you're serious about then you would find a way to make it happen.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    All this griping about the price of 7Sage is really becoming tiresome; if law school is something you're serious about then you would find a way to make it happen.
    *slow clap*

AMEN. You got it!!