PT2.S4.Q14 - Turnaround time for ambulances

JakejakeJakejake Member
edited January 2021 in Logical Reasoning 31 karma

I am a bit confused with PT2.S4.Q14. This was the logic I worked out for each of the answers:

A) This would support the argument, as it would show that there is a causation between the change in definition to only including heart attacks and strokes
B)the cities financial properties are irrelevant to the argument
C)"Expert opinion" is not relevant in this argument
D) Other cities opinions are not relevant in this argument
E) Last year's count does not necessarily reflect the count of this year. it's possible that this year the count was lower

The correct answer was E. I understand that both A and E aren't perfect solutions (otherwise this would be a sufficient assumption), but i do not understand why E is a stronger choice than A. Thoughts?

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Alum Member
    edited January 2021 2249 karma

So you're right. There is a causal relationship in the stimulus: What caused the reduction in turnaround time for ambulances? The author says the causes was this redefining of "top priority" cases from a wider variety of emergencies to now just heart attacks and strokes
    E would strengthen the argument, not prove it so it doesn't have to be perfect. If it were true that half of last year's emergencies were gunshot wounds and electrocution cases, it would make sense that by redefining "top priority" cases by cutting half of all cases out, it would likely lead to a reduction in turnaround time.
    A.) this fact, if true, has no effect on the argument: what effect does the decrease in the number of heart attacks and strokes have on the turnaround time? we just don't know
    Feel free to ask anything else you might have. This is good practice for everybody.

• JakejakeJakejake Member
    31 karma

@"ashley.tien" that is a great explanation! thank you so much!

• Clemens_Clemens_ Live Member
    293 karma

(A), if true, would arguably indicate a possible alternative cause in the reduction of turnaround time; there simply are less instances of one type of emergency ambulances need to respond to. However, the author wants to argue that the CHANGE in the definition of "top priority" caused the decrease in turnaround time. (A) does not offer additional support for this claim.