Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you properly foolproof Games?

FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
in Logic Games 314 karma

I am currently fool-proofing PT1-35. Although I am seeing the repetitive nature of the games, I still feel like I am not being as efficient as I could be. I do about 4 games a day and space out it out depending on how I do on each trial. What are your foolproof strategies? Do you breakdown the games in sets, by types, or any other strategies. Although my LR is not the best (-10), my real problem right now is the games and would like to have them down. I have faith in the foolproof method and understand that it might take a while, but I want to do it in an affective manner. All advice is welcomed, thanks!

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello @Isaaaaa-1
    I started the CC with a google sheet and I marked down all the problems that I had any sort of trouble with even the most minor, if I was not within 10 seconds of the time that was suggested I marked it down, to give an example of how strict I was. After I completed the CC I went back to games for about a month. I first started with mastering sequencing pure, then after I was comfortable I did other branches sequencing conditional, double layer, ect. once I mastered those I then moved on to grouping and in/out and mixed in sequencing to the grouping. I would also keep screen shots of the stimulus/rules, if any game me trouble and would parse them out and review them. I would also write down(wish i had it but some how it got deleted) the words that indicate the different types of games you're in. For example, selecting individuals into groups, teams, jobs or similar would be grouping game board, most of the time. Or words that have inherent order to them, such as first, last, end, start, before, after, ect. I would say overall it was a multi prong approach to games, first get the basics and know which game you are 'in'/what board to draw, this I wish I knew months ago, for me it was the critical point of me averaging 3ish wrong to averaging 0/1 wrong. Once I knew the game I had the plan and the anxiety of not knowing how to set up the game would paralyze me more than it should have. Finally once I started to have a good understanding of all the games I made a a coupe sets of games that would together last the length of an lsat exam and grind them all out(do not break new exams for this I used 1-35), this kept me honest because I would not know what type of game was coming next, I needed this because I would find myself 'cheating' on the game boards because we have to pick the games we want so I'd see the type. I wondered for a while how in practice I could do way better, even under time, than on the PTs, well its because sub-consciously I already knew how to set the games up. And a big thing I mentioned before keep track to all the games that give you any type of trouble, because if you can't get it under the relatively relaxed state of practice its less likely you'll get it under the pressure of a real exam. The foolproof method works, my diagnostic was a 142 and my last PT was a 169, hang in there. For me once I felt good with games, games because 'fun' to study relative to LR, RC. The biggest thing that bumped me from the 150's to the 160's was going -0 in games.

• FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
    314 karma

@kkole444
    Thank you for your detailed response! I do think that I should probably spend some time revisiting the basics of the LG since I finished the curriculum a while ago and also took a break soon afterwards. It sounds like keeping detailed track of the games that are tough or I have trouble with will also help. Overall, I think my skepticism about the foolproof method is one of my hinderances but this has really helped put things into perspective. I'll commit to it for these next weeks and see how it goes. Also, congrats on the great progress to--that jump is amazing!!

• Sailor Moon LSATSailor Moon LSAT Member
    200 karma

Check out the Pacifico Strategy (discussed here) https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/2737/logic-games-attack-strategy/p1

These other posts were useful for me as well:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/7901/fool-proof-clarification

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/10462/more-fool-proof-method-questions

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/11257/fool-proofing-time-line

Didn't want to recreate the wheel, but I have been saving posts that have been helpful for me.

I also have a spreadsheet that I used to track the days I took it, the time it took me, etc. I write up a summary after each take so I know what I did well on/badly on, and what I should focus on or need to improve on for the next take. Also if there is some overall lesson that's really important, I'll make a flash card out of it.

• FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
    314 karma

@"Merly Goodleaf"
    Thank you!!