PT52.S4.Q3 (P1) - Senegalese filmmaker Ousmane Sembene

motunrayobbmartinsmotunrayobbmartins Core Member
edited January 2021 in Reading Comprehension 50 karma

I did not pick option A because I thought it would be out of scope since Sembene was a filmmaker not a novelist. However, my understanding was later that, since the argument extended it’s scope to “storytelling” it would be okay to use the novelist, since they are both story-tellers. Now, I just want to clarify my understanding.

If an argument mentioned that a musician is talented due to their ability to sing. You cannot strengthen it by showing that an actor is talented. This would be considered of scope? However, if an argument mentioned that a musician is talented due to their ability to express emotion through the arts, you can strengthen it by saying that research shows that actors are talented due to their ability to express emotion through arts, since it’s both in the same scope?

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-52-section-4-passage-1-questions/

Comments

• Ashley2018-1Ashley2018-1 Live Member
    edited January 2021 2249 karma

S was indeed a filmmaker but the passage says his films contain elements from W. African oral culture and storytelling. A does the job of strengthening the argument that A. oral storytelling uses binary opposition; it's not perfect since it's only "several" African novelists but that's enough for this question. As for your other questions, I wouldn't eliminate answers just because they happen to be talking about a superficially different topic. I would try to see what argument or fact it is trying to assert first; all because the topic is different doesn't necessarily mean it is out of scope.