Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is applying in February too late?

rlenbergerrlenberger Member
edited January 2021 in Law School Admissions 15 karma

I just took the January LSAT this past week. Scores don't come out til Feb. 3. Is applying this late to schools going to drastically decrease my chances of getting in? Should I wait until the next cycle or is it worth it to still apply now?

Comments

• cpccall608cpccall608 Free Trial Member
    140 karma

I'm in same boat as you! I definitely don't think it's too late. Of all the schools I've talked to, they said the Jan LSAT is perfectly acceptable, and applying in Feb won't hurt your chances. Just don't rush to make the deadlines if you're app isn't ready. If you think your application is the best it can be, send it!

• dianao6512dianao6512 Member
    169 karma

Many schools take the January LSAT score. Although your chances dont necessarily "drastically" decrease, they do decrease quite a bit. Schools have a certain number of seats they need to fill. Those who apply early (October) have the best chance, and by January there are already many seats filled, so they are more selective. If your January score is competitive, no harm in applying. If not, may be worth waiting another cycle and applying in October to have a better chance (and maybe even retake if you can get a higher score). I initially was going to take the January test too and apply this cycle but decided to wait another cycle to apply early October and increase my chances. (Also, apparently this cycle is pretty tough due to all of the deferrals from last years class due to COVID, so there are even less seats available than usual.)

• Here I am getting ready for the April Flex and didn't even think about this....

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

No, in a normal cycle (if there is such a thing), Feb would be just starting to be "late" for most schools. Definitely not late in this cycle... I've spoken to every T14 and multiple consultants over the past two cycles, and "late" is highly misunderstood in terms of both when it occurs, and what its impact is. Regarding "is it worth it", putting everything else aside, you lose nothing other than the app fees, and the requirement to rewrite essays if you decide to reapply, so I'd say yes.

• mmacnamara21mmacnamara21 Core Member
    48 karma

I also think it's still worth it to apply. I know many people that have taken the January or February LSAT in the past and still gotten into good schools. Additionally, if you apply to your top choices this cycle and don't get in, they'll see next time you apply a persistent interest and that you aren't giving up on that school, which is a really good thing. Seeing that a student is determined and doesn't stop is positive.

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

if i were you, i would apply now and tell them your LSAT score will be sent as soon as available. putting some initiative in it will let them know you're interested