PTA.S1.Q19 - An artwork's political implications

FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
edited January 2021 in Logical Reasoning 314 karma

Hi,
Can someone please enlighten me on why answer choice C is wrong and why E is not just a restatement of the argument?
Thank you in advance!

Comments

• jpelberfeldjpelberfeld Alum Member
    87 karma

C is wrong because there is simply no support in the stimulus for knowing what art "typically concerns" critics. Every time the critics are brought up there is a modifier to them ie. "the critic who chooses to address overtly an artwork's political implications" and "critics who attempt... blah blah". For C to be correct it would have to say something that is true of all critics. We know nothing of the set of all critics, but only of those 2 subsets.

E is correct. You're right that E more or less restates the last sentence. This is more a fact set than an argument though. E is correct because if the criticism only on aesthetic evaluation necessarily (always) ends up endorsing the politics of the artist, then of course it doesn't reject it. By definition endorsing at the very least means that the artist is not rejecting it.

I'm sure you didn't need a vocabulary lesson though. The difficulty in this question I believe comes from keeping those subset of critics separate in your mind and prompting yourself when you see an answer choice that says something of all critics to be very critical of that statement.

See what I did there? :)

• FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
    314 karma

@jpelberfeld Thank you, this was very helpful!