Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement

I'm looking for advice on whether or not to write a diversity statement for my U.S law school application. I moved from the U.K to the U.S when I was 11 years old because of my dad's job (I'm now 22 years old). I am also the first person in my family to graduate from university. To note, I have no history of overcoming socioeconomic hardship nor am I part of a historically underrepresented group. This is what the law school put in the description for the diversity statement:

"The committee shall take into account all factors that indicate that the candidate will contribute to diversity, including, but not limited to, a history of overcoming socioeconomic hardship; family background with little or no formal higher education; membership in a group that has historically been underrepresented in the legal community, including, but not limited to, groups based on race, nationality, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, disability, veteran status, or age; geographic diversity; or service employment in furtherance of the goal of diversity."

I'm very conflicted, so any honest feedback would be amazing!! Thanks in advance

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8454 karma

Is doesn't need to be about socioeconomic hardship or being a URM. Can you write something meaningful that articulates how your experiences will allow you to contribute to the diversity of their class? If yes, then write one. If no, don't write one just to do it. Don't add volume without value.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I think the prompt answers your question for you, "family background with little or no formal higher education" and "geographic diversity." For you, make sure you read the diversity statement prompt for each school you apply to. If you are unsure you can also look at the 7Sage post "Application requirements for top law schools". I usually just type 7sage and that into Google and hit search, but the link is here: https://7sage.com/admissions/lesson/application-requirements-for-top-schools/ There is often a note about how broadly a given school interprets diversity. I am a highly non-traditional student with some other non-URM diversity factors and submitted a statement to more schools than not, but did not submit to a fair number as well and turned to the recommendations on that page on a few occasions.

• 162 karma

@canihazJD @VerdantZephyr thank you both! Very helpful. I'll be sure to check out the 7sage lesson!