Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waitlisted

the19rowsthe19rows Member
edited February 2021 in Law School Admissions 38 karma

I was waitlisted at a couple of schools and was told that re-taking the LSAT in April might help me get off the waitlist. I have a couple of worries about this. Won't holding my application till late April be detrimental to my chances? Also, I am not sure that 2 months of studying are enough to get my score up and if I get another low score won't that also be detrimental?

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

hello @the19rows if you are already on the waitlist they are not going to take you off while you study. taking the lsat again is to help get you off if you are still on the waitlist when your April scores come back and they are higher, plus they can also be used to negotiate a higher scholar ship.
    With a lower score, this would not matter at all unless it is a significant drop in score but even then the schools only report your top score to the ABA and such, so they really don't care about the other scores you have.
    I hope this helps,
    Kole

• the19rowsthe19rows Member
    38 karma

Thank you @kkole444

1687 karma

You're welcome anytime(:

38 karma

@kkole444 Should I tell the schools that I haven't gotten an answer from yet that I am taking a future LSAT?

1687 karma

like the ones you got wait listed or zero response from?

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@the19rows You should definitely do that, and let them know not to hold your application there unless that is what you want. In that case, still let all schools know, and ask them to hold your application. Many schools will move applications to hold status if you have a future LSAT registration. Others will not check for future registrations and will proceed anyway. Just politely let schools know that you have decided to retake but that you would like them to continue to evaluate your application with your current score. I don't think there is a good reason to have anyone hold your app until April.

38 karma

@kkole444 Yes, my question is about the schools that I have not received a response from yet. I plan on letting the schools that I am on the waitlist for know that I am taking the April LSAT.

1687 karma

I would wait to see what they decided and then I (if not accepted) let them know what you plan on doing.

2054 karma

I strongly disagree. Let all the schools know. They'll be able to see, if they look, that you have a retake. If you don't notify them they may hold your application without rendering a decision. The schools you are waitlisted at are already holding their decision. The retake is only relevant if you improve. They don't need to be notified that you're retaking. You could, but it isn't necessary. The ones who haven't rendered a decision you really don't want putting off your application until April.

1687 karma

@VerdantZephyr "the ones who haven't rendered a decision you really don't want putting off your application until April." that is the situation I was trying to avoid. With having a retake scheduled, I don't think this would make an admissions board render one way or another or put off a decision because they will want there seat deposits in early April. What I put in parentheses was wrong it should have been 'heard no response from yet.' Please let me know if I am missing a key factor or something I enjoy learning new ideas, and don't want to give bad advise.

edited February 2021 38 karma

Thank you both @VerdantZephyr @kkole444

2054 karma

@kkole444 No worries, I figured that was the case, but wanted to be clear about the advice.