Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Letting a School Know your Level of Interest

Is it okay or even wise to let a school know that they're your first choice and you would withdraw your other apps if accepted (via email or during an interview)? For reference, its a state school with around 65% in-state population and I'm OOS with loose ties. Thanks for your insight!

Comments

• Nice_homeNice_home Member
    edited February 2021 83 karma

For what it's worth, I did this. (I didn't let them know I would withdraw other apps though; conversely, I implied I am applying to other comparable schools.)
    Not sure yet how it will go....

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    996 karma

@Nice_home said:
    For what it's worth, I did this. (I didn't let them know I would withdraw other apps though; conversely, I implied I am applying to other comparable schools.)

May I ask how you did that? Did you email admissions or made a notation of it in your PS?

• Nice_homeNice_home Member
    edited February 2021 83 karma

@JDream2020 said:

@Nice_home said:

May I ask how you did that? Did you email admissions or made a notation of it in your PS?

Both. I just tried to be as smooth as possible. I know doing so is a risk, however my application has various deficiencies so I felt I probably need to take some additional risks to have any potential hope to reap the reward. Also my personality tends to be more aggressive in this type of area, so I felt I was being authentic in attempting this approach. This strategy is not for the faint of heart or those who are more conservative on the risk-taking front.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer speaking up here. If a school is your top choice, definitely let them know this and any reasons why. You can put this in your personal statement, your Why X essay, or mention it in a conversation/interview.

A promise to withdraw your application from all other places where you have applied/been admitted is appropriate to put in a letter of continued interest if you are trying to get off a waitlist, particularly after a deposit deadline. Good luck!