Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity Statement on Occupation?

danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 4181 karma
I recently began writing a diversity statement on what I believe to be a unique and transformative job. I've noticed, however, that most if not all are focused on one's upbringing and the diversity within that. The job I want to use is my current one, and I've had it for a year (it will be about 2.5 years by the time I actually start law school). Bad idea or good idea? Or is the unquestionably inapplicable to the diversity statement?

Comments

• VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    Is this a general diversity statement? Or are you following the DS prompt of a specific school?
  • danielznelsondanielznelson Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4181 karma
    General. I would use this for any schools that applied.
    edited May 2015 587 karma
    I don't think it's a bad idea at all to base it off of your work experience. The DS is another opportunity to show an admissions committee who you are and disingenuously fitting yourself into the mold of a disadvantaged upbringing might hurt rather than help. So, just be you. If your job gives you a unique perspective that you can bring to a LS class then that is exactly what you should say. If you absolutely don't feel comfortable writing one (I think you should since it's another opportunity to represent yourself), you might want to seek the advice of a LS advisor or perhaps even call the school(s) in question and ask for a clarification. I doubt anyone would tell you that the DS statement NEEDS to be based off of someone's upbringing. That would reflect poorly on them since the DIVERSITY statement would in fact be based off of a very monolithic sample.
    4181 karma
    Excellent input and good ideas. Thanks so much.
    587 karma
    @danielznelson Anytime! I'm glad I could help!
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I'm curious as to what makes it worthy of a DS statement? Is it something to just add to your application or does it truly show diversity
    4181 karma
    I believe it's the latter. To provide some specifics, I work as a behavioral therapist for children with autism. To be short (since I'm typing on my phone), I work in the homes of many impoverished families who are constantly battling with issues that could have easily been resolved with a lawyer. I've met autism advocates and even life insurance reps who constantly site the need for attorneys. It's a sad situation. Most of these caretakers have no idea what to do for even the simplest of appeals or applications and both the child and his or her family noticeably suffer as a result. I'm not claiming I'll be a special ed lawyer necessarily, but the aforementioned exposure has widened my eyes to the desperate need for representation among the lowest socioeconomic levels.

Let me know what you guys think. I can also be more specific when I'm at with laptop, if need be, haha.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I'm by no means a DS person or know too much about it but to me that doesn't sound all that diverse. I mean I can see it being worked into a PS, or a bit into why law, but I'm not sure how that shows that you personally are adding to the schools diversity... granted I know a small piece of your puzzle by my $.02 I would maybe ask in one of the help from professionals thread on TLS if they think it should be done, or if you happen to hire someone to help with your app its a good question to get answered by people in the business
    4181 karma
    Hmm. I appreciate that. I did originally have it iny PS. My job has definitely changed and added to my perspectives, but I'm still not sure if it applies to the DS. Your comments help. Thanks!
  • mes08mes08 Alum Member
    578 karma
    Yes, I would agree with @jdawg113. Your job sounds really interesting and I think it's definitely worth writing about in a PS. However, I don't see how that fits into a DS. I mean, a lot of people have fulfilling/interesting/meaningful jobs, but does that show how you're diverse?
    4181 karma
    To me, the uniqueness of my job is something that can and probably will change my perspectives in law school. Does that make sense? If I were, say, a deep-sea explorer, the uniqueness of my job would be irrelevant to law. But facets of my job are directly relatable, and in a way that is unique to, if not my particular job, the general field itself. But even so, would that still make me diverse? Even with my disclaimer, it seems to be a "no."
    587 karma
    I think 'diversity' is a very open-ended buzz word that can be applied to anything depending on how you write it. Every applicant is diverse, it all just depends on how you show that to an admissions committee. I do have to agree with @jdawg113 that you might want to seek professional help in the writing process for your PS and DS in order to best utilize your assets without seeming redundant in both texts. However, I definitely don't think you should pass up the opportunity of writing a DS just because you don't think you fit the mold of 'diversity'. A long while ago I was contemplating whether or not I should write a DS (I had a very typical upbringing). I then read an example in a law school admissions book asking if a law school called you in for a second interview... would you accept or reject the invitation? That's what the DS is (in this analogy the first 'interview' is your personal statement). Even though it's optional, writing nothing on the subject might reflect negatively on you as an applicant, so I strongly suggest you seek the advice of a professional and write a polished DS that compliments your PS and shows what your unique life experiences can bring to the classroom.

I'll copy and paste the DS prompt for Harvard below just as an example if someone has not seen such a prompt before:

Optional Statement

"The Admissions Committee makes every effort to understand your achievements in the context of your background and to build a diverse student body. If applicable, you may choose to submit an optional additional statement to elaborate on how you could contribute to the diversity of the Harvard Law School community."

• Ruby SohoRuby Soho Core Member
    106 karma
    I would not write about my work experience for a diversity statement.

I would only include my work experience for my diversity statement if I was a non traditional student. There are several people who are afforded AWESOME work experiences because of their family ties, access to money and resources.

For example, what if a parent basically paid someone or pulled some strings to allow their kid to have a "diverse" work experience? Would this be ok?

What if a parent works for the White House and as a result their child has all of these wonderful experiences and internships.....does this mean they are a "diverse" person....or just very lucky? In the end, the person could be very entitled and elitist .

There probably is no right or wrong answer to this question.

Just my 2 cents =-)

Why not use your work experience as a PS?

Per LSAC:

We use the term diversity broadly to include all aspects of human differences, including but not limited to socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, language, nationality, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, geography, disability, and age.

http://www.lsac.org/jd/diversity-in-law-school/racial-ethnic-minority-applicants
    587 karma
    I think 'all aspects of human differences' is a pretty non-exhaustive phrase. I don't mean to appear so adamantly against all of you because your opinions definitely have merit. I just want to play devil's advocate because I too don't believe there is a right or wrong answer. Personal statements and diversity statements are very personal application materials. Everyone will have a different answer. I just implore everyone to not give up the possibility of writing a DS. @danielznelson Even if you decide to use work experience for your personal statement instead, there will be something about your life/background that you could include in a DS and a professional might help you identify and utilize that.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    If you choose to write your DS on a work experience, it should be 10% your work experience, and 90% about how it informs you, your views and how that would translate in law school. IIRC, you shouldn't treat the DS as a second personal statement. If you keep in mind the purpose of these statements and what their supposed to showcase, I think you can write a compelling DS.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I think this is the type of question Dean Spivey or Karen Buttenbaum would answer freely on their TLS advice thread. I've seen somewhat similar questions on TLS before and the answer is usually attempting something like this will blow up in your face the vast majority of the time. Of course that means there are those talented few who are able to thread the needle and make an appropriately compelling DS, but it is very difficult and the risk might not be worth the reward. Personally I wouldn't attempt something like this without professional assistance on the front and back ends in order to ensure I didn't come off poorly. While the definitions for diversity are usually insanely broad, most things on the periphery will come off as a second PS and that will definitely hurt you. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Here is the link to that TLS thread if you feel like posing the question there: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=197451&start=4175
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited May 2015 7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Personally I wouldn't attempt something like this without professional assistance on the front and back ends in order to ensure I didn't come off poorly.
    Absolutely agree on this. In addition to the golden TLS tip, some law school advisors will offer a free consult—you could ask this question of one of them, as well (or ask a few of them to get a range of opinions/responses).
    4181 karma
    Seriously all, this is beyond incredible input. I think the issue of redundancy is a big one for me, and as such, I'll probably end up incorporating my job experience in my PS. I also think I'd be pushing too many boundaries with a DS as discussed. I may post this inquiry on TLS to see if it's a risk worth taking for HYS. Thanks, everyone!