Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

score not improving...really depressed...

hj060815hj060815 Alum Member
in General 51 karma
I've started studying since January with a score of 158. After a few practice tests, I had some scores in the low 160s - I had a 162, 165, and 163...and then suddenly one day it went down to a 157...157...153....158....157 (i've taken 12 PTs so far). I just took one today and it's a 157 again, which is lower than my initial diagnostic. I'm so frustrated and June is just around the corner. Is it even possible to go up to a 165 at least in the next 4 weeks? (out of my 12 PTs....3 were in the 160's and the other 9 was in the 150's....)

My worst section is unfortunately RC (I can miss anywhere from 9-14). Games is my best section - if I have a very good LG section I will miss 1 or 2. When I do poorly I'll miss like 4-5. LR (I miss like 5-6 on one section, and then the other LR sections always sucks...miss 8-9). When I do timed sections 35 sections during my study - I tend to get more correct.

Also - when you do BR....which is essentially answering the questions untimed after taking the PT. Do you have to do a BR for the whole test in one sitting? or even the section in one sitting? or is it just untimed anytime I want?

Some encouragement or advice is much needed...please...

Comments

• markushageylikmanmarkushageylikman Alum Member
    48 karma
    Well usually I do not respond to these things but seeing as to how closely your scores and situation relate to mine, I feel compelled to do so. I hope that what I say may actually help you and show you that there is in fact light at the end of the tunnel. My diagnostic score was a 152 and I made it all the way up to a 162, only to then go back to scoring consistently at 157-159. This was last summer and I was preparing for the October LSAT. I decided a few days before to just withdraw from the test and wait until December. I had just finished Blueprint Prep and decided self study is what I needed. Anyways, long story short, my score improved into the low 160s on a consistent basis with a few 159's here and there. I was studying hard too, but I have to be honest, a piece of me knew I could go even harder and give more of myself to my studies. December test day came around and needless to say, I burned my hand the night before which threw me off, I didn't get adequate sleep, and overall the test just did not go the way I wanted it to go. So I waited a few days and cancelled. Then I restarted studying with about a month in a half to go till February LSAT. I studied harder than I had previously, but more important than that, I became consistent in my routine. I figured out what is the most efficient breakfast for me to have. I figured out how much sleep I needed and at what time I would need to wake up on test day to be there early, focused, and ready to go. Everything that went wrong on the 1st official test went right on the 2nd one. I got good sleep, woke up focused, ate a great breakfast, had my father drop me off instead of driving like a maniac looking for parking, and needless to say scored a 164.

If there is one piece of advice I can give for you: ROUTINE. If you already scored in the 160s, I have to assume that you have achieved some solid theoretical understanding of the exam. I assume you have drilled countless times, etc etc etc. These may be fallacious assumptions but I am going to assume them eitherway. Anyways, the most important thing is a) routine and b) simulating real life test taking conditions. Get your diet down. Lots of anti-oxidants (salmon, walnuts, berries, etc). Lots of carbohydrates and protein for breakfast on exam days. Adequate sleep. Exercise. Wake up at the same time everyday for a month prior to the exam, no exceptions, weekends too. Oh, and go to bed at around the same time as well. Your life belongs to the LSAT. Fuck friends, other obligations (if possible), and all other stuff. You want to do well and score with all the other big boys and girls, work hard(er). Oh and most importantly, take this test regardless if you are ready, and feel free to cancel it and take the LSAT again. You will be much more familiar with how the actual test day goes by doing this and it will easily help you improve your score. Direct message me if you need further advice.
  • visualcreedvisualcreed Member Inactive ⭐
    326 karma
    I'm not in a completely similar boat but I do have those occasional 157-158 scores. Usually, it's because I try to stick to a schedule and PT at a time I shouldn't, after a full days work. At that point I'm tired and my mind is just trying to get through the test. What I found the most helpful is to really review, blind or not. If you want instant gratification like me go ahead and score your test but don't take note of what you get wrong. I usually take the same PT the next day untimed and see if how I do. Usually, I only have a question or two that I'm completely clueless on and those are the ones that I look for explanations and then drill that type of question. Usually after that I can get back into the 160's pretty easily. RC is definitely my worse section too. I'm going through the Manhattan RC book again and it seems to be helping.
  • hj060815hj060815 Alum Member
    51 karma
    Thanks both for the responses! I actually have the Manhattan RC book as well - it seems helpful but I actually am not doing any better on RC. *sigh. Thanks for all the advice - I'll keep these in mind and I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes! I'm taking another PT this Saturday so I shall see what happens....
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    You have a FANTASTIC diagnostic score, with the raw potential to score 170+ on this test. My diagnostic score was lower than yours but my first plateau took place around yours 157-159. I took this time to "shop around" and use different books to see if each could add a little something to my understanding. Since your strongest section is games, I would strongly urge you to use Cambridge packets and drill the games section or take timed LG sections from the older tests. Get that to -0/-1 and that'll bump you straight into the 160s. On top of that, that mental boost you get from getting yourself out of the funk is also going to be super productive.

For logical reasoning, what personally worked best for me was Manhattan. Lots of the strategies for LR are pretty similar but I found that Manhattan spoke to my unconscious understanding of the test better. For instance, I could feel that an answer choice was wrong because it was attempting to weaken the premise or the conclusion, instead of weakening the gap between the two but I had no idea how to articulate that. Now, whenever I see that on the test, I can write P- or C- . I also spent time asking myself: (1) what is the stimulus trying to convince me of? (2) what makes the answer choice right? (3) what makes the others wrong? While it'd be awesome if you had the time to review every single LR and BR it, my belief is that the best review is the one you'll do consistently. If you can't make it through an entire LR section, then at the very least review the ones that you missed. Then, try to apply your understanding using Cambridge packets and drilling question types. How you drill is up to you -- just do as much as you can because some practice is better than non/minimal practice.

For RC, honestly, I wish I had the answer to this. I've looked through Manhattan, LSAT Trainer, 7sage, Blueprint, TM, and PS and have found nothing to be tremendously helpful so I've tried to come up with my own system to play to my own strengths. Perhaps when you're trying to get those last points, it'll come down to that for you as well.

TL;DR: Drill LG, gain a better understanding of the LR section, understand your strengths/weaknesses (don't mention timing as one) and try to find a method that works for you in RC. Be flexible, open-minded, and reflect constantly.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @blah170blah is my hero rn tbh.

OP—give yourself some space. You just might not be ready yet. Evidence? You don't feel ready. Do what @blah170blah has advised and analyze where the problems are.

Also, given that you are taking in June, I very strongly recommend that you join our BR group tomorrow night at 7pm EST. Hearing the way we discuss matters (and joining in!!) will help you assess your own grasp of the material and readiness.

PT62 this week. You need to take advantage of all of the resources at your disposal ... And this is a big one.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @nicole.hopkins *shucks*
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @blah170blah Nice gif...
    some text
  • hj060815hj060815 Alum Member
    51 karma
    Thanks so much for the encouragement @blah170blah !!

@nicole.hopkins I should really try the BR group. I actually took PT 62 a few weeks ago - should I just come to the review anyway and look at questions that I wasn't comfortable with??
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @hj060815 yes 100% fine! pM me your skype handle :) you've got the right idea and we'd love to have you!
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Everything is possible with time! Don't give up.. You're almost there.. Join the 7Sage BR group and a lot more will start to make sense.