Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using Highlighter in RC

pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
Has anyone successfully used highlighters during an actual test. I have begun using highlighters and they certainly increase my understanding of the passage but also takes more time to get through the passage. I am using 3 colors right now , maybe I should switch to 2.

Comments

• jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    How is your timing with that? I feel like picking one up and swapping back to my pencil is too much time to waste, using 2/3 colors I feel would kill the time
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    477 karma
    I have gone from ~8 min /passage to 9-10 min per passage hence I am concerned. Is there a way to make this work.
  • bstew2002bstew2002 Alum Member
    edited May 2015 269 karma
    I tried highlighting once and I ended up highlighting the entirety of every passage. It took more time and was not helpful. So, basically, the highlighters hurt more than they helped.

Now I just keep it simple and take very few notes. No more than -2 for whole sections.

Read Graeme Blakes' Reading Comprehension guide on reddit. Or just google Graeme Blake reading comprehension.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Eh, there is a thread on this from those who took the Feb. LSAT. I wouldn't recommend it since on the actual LSAT the paper is super thin and you may even highlight the answer key on accident. I once tried it during my prep and realized that it did help me but on LSAT day it would take up more time and I could even make the mistake of highlighting my answer choice, because I would be used to doing that on all the other sections except RC.
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    edited May 2015 477 karma
    emli1000 yes I did see your response in that thread but seemed to me the question there was: can we use the highlighter. I tried using it on RC...and it seemed to help except for the timing issue. I saw your earlier concern and wanted to check if someone actually has successfully used it. Since it is allowed I am thinking some people have tried using it. My question is RC specific.