PT12.S1.Q16 - Salmonella is a food-borne microorganism that can cause...

FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
edited April 2021 in Logical Reasoning 314 karma

Hi,
Could someone pls explain what the stimulus is saying and how is B a better(and correct) answer than B? None of the answers stuck out to me as actually addressing the gap in the stimulus and so I think I might have misunderstood the argument entirely.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• LivinLaVidaLSATLivinLaVidaLSAT Alum Member
    656 karma

In short, the argument says they should use the new Salmonella test because it’s better.

My strategy for weaken questions:
    This is a question-type that challenges me because the gap typically doesn’t jump out at me. I usually have to narrow it down by eliminating the wrong answers. I routinely use the strategy of advocating for the anti-conclusion for weaken questions. I look for an answer that pushes me in the direction of the anti-conclusion. This strategy works best for me. It puts me in the mindset of objecting to the argument (allowing me to see gaps - not necessarily predicting the answer). In turn, I’m able to eliminate answer choices faster.

Conclusion: Health officials should replace the old tests with the new test.
    Premise: Traditional tests are slow and might miss unusual strains of Salmonella.
    Premise: The new test can determine the presence or absence of Salmonella by looking for a certain piece of genetic material found in all strains.

Anti-conclusion: Health officials shouldn’t replace the old tests with the new tests.

B. The new test just tells you if Salmonella is present or not. If they use the new test, the alarm will sound even if the Salmonella level isn’t a health risk (food still okay for consumption). This makes the new test less reliable for its intended purpose. So since there is a downside, maybe health officials shouldn't switch.

This answer weakens the link between the premises and the conclusion. It weakens the idea that the new test is better because it will catch all the strains while the traditional tests may miss some strains. Note that “identifying strains” is the only comparison we’re given between the traditional and new tests.

• FautApprendreLSAT1FautApprendreLSAT1 Core Member
    314 karma

@LivinLaVidaLSAT Thank you!