PT58.S4.Q3 - Simple recurring rhythm exerts a primordial appeal

megameghamegamegha Alum Member
edited June 2021 in Logical Reasoning 29 karma

I can't understand why the first (and not the last) sentence would be the MC. I note that several others posted comments with the same confusion with that question, it really was a hard question for a Q3!

If you were one of the geniuses who breezed through this one, I'd appreciate some insights!

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-58-section-4-question-03/

Comments

• CSieck3507CSieck3507 Member
    1376 karma

Did you use the "why" test. The first sentence is definitely a conclusion. This is because the premise after that begins with "After all". This is a premise indicator and that sentence supports the first sentence. But is it a main conclusion or a subconclusion? Well we need to read further. We also get a "So" a transition word that is often followed by another conclusion. But what the sentence that follows "So" seems to support is the very last sentence that starts with a thus because it just gives us more information on what taking away the warmth of the womb does, which is take away a form of comfort. This sentence just adds onto the fact of what birth does. It is not a conclusion. But because we are taken away a sense of comfort, that is why we are drawn to simple rhythmic sounds. This sentence after thus is then supported so that looks like a conclusion!

So it seems we have two conclusions. The first and last sentence. But what is the main conclusion. Well its the first sentence! Why? Because the last sentence supports the MC. Because it is extremely natural to seek warmth of comfort people that are drawn to rhythmic sounds, that is why music with a simple sound reminds of of the womb environment! Do you see why the last sentence supports the first? If not use the test below.

Always when deciding between a main conclusion and a subconclusion see which one supports which. Use the the "if/then" or the "because of this/that is why x". This is an easy way to see the difference. Also saying why after a sentence can really help you understand. Well why is this the case? More often than not that is the conclusion. And then use the other steps above to weed out the MC.

Hope that helps! If you have any other LR questions feel free to PM me!

• megameghamegamegha Alum Member
    29 karma

Hi CSiek, thanks so much for your detailed explanation! I agree with your structural analysis - my issue was with the content of the paragraph, not the structure.

Quick recap of the first and last sentences -

1. Music with recurring simple rhythm exerts a primordial appeal because it reminds us of the womb environment.
    2. It is natural that people seeking warm and comforting sensations are drawn to simple recurring rhythmic sounds.

I first thought that (2) supported (1), but see why it should be the other way round!

I am taking the August test and would definitely PM you if I had other LR doubts. Good luck for your test whenever you are taking it!

Megha