Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Get a Tutor? (166 June 2021 LSAT... shooting for 170+)

WishingOnAStarWishingOnAStar Alum Member
in General 83 karma

Hi all,

I scored a 166 on the June 2021 LSAT Flex, which was my PT average heading into the test (I scored into the 170s a couple of times). I am generally aware of my two weaknesses, which I've outlined below, but would love some feedback on how helpful a tutor would be.

1. Logic Games—I am able to generally finish with -0/-2 on most sections, but will freeze up (which has nothing to do with not understanding the games) in others, missing -5/-6, which I think is what happened on this June 2021 test.
  2. Reading Comprehension—I am able to go around -2/-3 consistently when I go back over the paragraphs as I read and an additional time before hitting questions (usually takes me about 3:30 to do all of this), but I get anxious and don't practice good habits in certain PTs.

Any thoughts on if a tutor could be helpful at this point? Would they be able to reveal anything else about my performance? Or should I just trudge through and work on these two weak areas?

Thanks!

Comments

• 5 karma

I'm in a similar position. I just got a tutor and I believe she is helping, but what has been actually especially helpful for me is adding in the habit of meditation. I know it doesn't sound like it would be helpful, but my achilles heel on the test is anxiety, so learning to manage that has I believe put me in a better position for my upcoming test. Sounds like it might help you too, based on what you said about freezing up.

I think where my tutor helps most is with providing some structure to my studying and helping me feel more confident about my answers and not second guess them, so yeah I would recommend it. Plus a higher LSAT can end up offsetting the cost of a tutor in increased scholarships, etc

• t14Fanatict14Fanatic Member
    2 karma

Where do you hire private tutor?

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

@jinqiu6356 said:
    Where do you hire private tutor?

Hi there,

We have a list of approved private tutors here: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/comment/68763

This is our required disclaimer: Please note that 7Sage takes no responsibility for anything that happens during these tutor sessions. We are unaffiliated with these tutors, and do not receive any commissions or kickbacks from them. We are not vouching for them in any way other than we expect they would make good tutors. To become a tutor, you must be either a star (⭐️ ) member or a Sage and be approved by 7Sage staff.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

• WishingOnAStarWishingOnAStar Alum Member
    83 karma

@oliviamariemott said:
    I'm in a similar position. I just got a tutor and I believe she is helping, but what has been actually especially helpful for me is adding in the habit of meditation. I know it doesn't sound like it would be helpful, but my achilles heel on the test is anxiety, so learning to manage that has I believe put me in a better position for my upcoming test. Sounds like it might help you too, based on what you said about freezing up.

I think where my tutor helps most is with providing some structure to my studying and helping me feel more confident about my answers and not second guess them, so yeah I would recommend it. Plus a higher LSAT can end up offsetting the cost of a tutor in increased scholarships, etc

Thanks for your reply! I have actually started meditation! And it seems to have a positive impact... It's great to know someone else is working through a similar issue. :) As a follow up to your other point—How often are you meeting with your tutor?

• 5 karma

Started off with twice a week but now it's once a week! I would do it more but it's expensive lol

@WishingOnAStar said:

@oliviamariemott said:

Thanks for your reply! I have actually started meditation! And it seems to have a positive impact... It's great to know someone else is working through a similar issue. :) As a follow up to your other point—How often are you meeting with your tutor?

• RavinderRavinder Alum Member
    869 karma

I would highly recommend working with a private tutor. I was stuck at 162 after several attempts. Then worked with two of the best tutors and got a 177 after 4 months of additional study after understanding the test much better. The tutors were expensive as they are well known and in high demand but were well worth the investment as I got into Columbia and NYU. Working with private tutors was well worth the investment.

• jmarin5jmarin5 Member
    162 karma

@Ravinder said:
    I would highly recommend working with a private tutor. I was stuck at 162 after several attempts. Then worked with two of the best tutors and got a 177 after 4 months of additional study after understanding the test much better. The tutors were expensive as they are well known and in high demand but were well worth the investment as I got into Columbia and NYU. Working with private tutors was well worth the investment.

Do you mind sharing who your tutors were?

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

I would recommend a tutor as well! They can help get you over that last hump. Sounds like you've got a great foundation and need some help tweaking pieces of test day/even strategy. I utilized a 7sage tutor and highly recommend! If you can't afford a tutor, look and see if you can find a BR partner/group, that could help too!

• RavinderRavinder Alum Member
    869 karma

@jmarin5 said:

@Ravinder said:

I don't mind sharing the tutors I worked with. I went through about 6 six tutors before I found the two best. It may be better to dm me so I can speak more freely about what were the pros and cons of each.

• jmarin5jmarin5 Member
    162 karma

@Ravinder said:

@jmarin5 said:

@Ravinder said:

I don't mind sharing the tutors I worked with. I went through about 6 six tutors before I found the two best. It may be better to dm me so I can speak more freely about what were the pros and cons of each.

Hey Ravinder,

Thanks for offering to share your experience. I just DM'd you.

• samlawnotessamlawnotes Core Member
    18 karma

Hey, @jmarin5 and @Ravinder! I have just sent you both DM's about this thread. I'm also looking for PT advice. Thanks!