Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graduate program situation--disclose on app or not?

edited July 2021 in Law School Admissions 76 karma

Hi! So I was admitted this March to do an M.A. program at my undergrad which would allow me to work toward my BA and MA at the same time. However, despite doing the program for about 2 months and loving it, I could not find any means of receiving financial assistance through research assistantships, TA-ing, etc. so I decided that I would transfer everything from my graduate transcript back to my undergrad transcript and withdraw from the program. Law school is already really expensive, so I didn't think this would be cost effective! I believe that everything else seeming normal, some of the courses on my transcript are at the graduate level, and I'm not sure if it would be written anywhere that I withdrew from this program. Furthermore, I'd really love to get into the law school program at the same undergrad I went attended!
Would all of this be something that I should disclose in my application? Thanks. :-)
I hope my question's not too confusing.

Comments

• T-OSINT-ILFT-OSINT-ILF Alum Member
    2 karma

I think if you got credit for something you have in writing was for graduate level work, you can typically submit that to your point-of-contact at the school you hope to attend. They will be able to let you know if it will count and save you any of your hard earned cash/credit score. At the end of the day relying solely on financial assistance always seems to come with a catch: high interest rates, if you die your kids inherit the debt from your estate, oh and the number of scams, and it literally just never goes away. Grants count as income and loans are typically awful, but unavoidable if you're like a huge percentage.

Honestly, depending on what your undergrad is in, working at a substance abuse treatment center (as long as you're not abusing substances) is a great job to have while in school. That's what I did. I was able to work third shift, study overnight and get as much schoolwork done as possible, sleep for a little bit at home, and then get up at 3 PM for my day. It's not something I would ever recommend in the long run, but it worked for me.

• I just finished my MSc in CS, and plan to specialize, consult, and be an expert witness for law firms where they lack in understanding what should be the modern IT-centric RICO act. I would have never found my love for IT Security if it weren't for those long nights studying my formal logic and computer science books. Took LSAT in 2017ish - 170. At this point a law degree will only put me into debt, and put me behind due to the curriculum at every law school not having that specific discipline as a specialty.

Anyways, I hope this helps! For the record, your question wasn't confusing. It appears you want to find the best way to manage your time and not waste money :) Anyone who cannot relate to that needs to comment and let us know the secret sauce. You could always moonlight as a PI. It's a lot of fun! Some states require no formal education for it! Eating donuts, drinking coffee, listening to jazz, and studying .. oh and periodically checking on your tasks, scope, ROE, etc. .. what could be better?

• 76 karma

@"T-OSINT-ILF" said:
    I think if you got credit for something you have in writing was for graduate level work, you can typically submit that to your point-of-contact at the school you hope to attend. They will be able to let you know if it will count and save you any of your hard earned cash/credit score. At the end of the day relying solely on financial assistance always seems to come with a catch: high interest rates, if you die your kids inherit the debt from your estate, oh and the number of scams, and it literally just never goes away. Grants count as income and loans are typically awful, but unavoidable if you're like a huge percentage.

Honestly, depending on what your undergrad is in, working at a substance abuse treatment center (as long as you're not abusing substances) is a great job to have while in school. That's what I did. I was able to work third shift, study overnight and get as much schoolwork done as possible, sleep for a little bit at home, and then get up at 3 PM for my day. It's not something I would ever recommend in the long run, but it worked for me.

• I just finished my MSc in CS, and plan to specialize, consult, and be an expert witness for law firms where they lack in understanding what should be the modern IT-centric RICO act. I would have never found my love for IT Security if it weren't for those long nights studying my formal logic and computer science books. Took LSAT in 2017ish - 170. At this point a law degree will only put me into debt, and put me behind due to the curriculum at every law school not having that specific discipline as a specialty.

Anyways, I hope this helps! For the record, your question wasn't confusing. It appears you want to find the best way to manage your time and not waste money :) Anyone who cannot relate to that needs to comment and let us know the secret sauce. You could always moonlight as a PI. It's a lot of fun! Some states require no formal education for it! Eating donuts, drinking coffee, listening to jazz, and studying .. oh and periodically checking on your tasks, scope, ROE, etc. .. what could be better?

Thanks for your input! I guess by financial assistance, what I meant was either scholarships or an easy way to finance my graduate program. My undergrad, thankfully, gave quite a lot of need based scholarship, but everyone who participates in the masters program has to pay sticker. Some majors have it easier and have lots of opportunities such as being a paid research assistant or a TA for an undergrad course to pay for a good chunk of the tuition, but my program didn't really have those options.

I'm guessing you aren't an admissions consultant or an admissions officer, but do you think that this decision I made would be viewed upon negatively? Something like "oh, they make rash decisions and back out of them easily" hahahah I sure hope not. I really wanted to go through with that program but phew.. the money..