Mid-PT Mental Slump

achanne1-1achanne1-1 Core Member
in General 57 karma

I’m registered for the August 2021 LSAT, where we’ll have 4 section with a 10-minute break between section 2 and 3. To prepare I’ve been doing full length PT with the same 10 minute break in middle. However, I find that my scores in section 2 and 3 tend to be my lowest and I do feel myself become more passive as I read. Also on the break I tend to close my eyes or mentally test but I think that could be contributing as well since the 10 minute break isn’t exactly waking me up.

I am considering doing 3 sections back to back to increase stamina, focus, and endurance. Do you think that would help amp up my focus in those sections?

Comments

• eziffeziff Member
    55 karma

Maybe, but for me the big things I'm looking at in terms of stamina is eating solid meals beforehand, getting quality sleep and exercising daily. Also, training for stamina is fine, but generally speaking if you're extremely competent with question types at your best mentally then you'll still be able to crush them when your brain is starting to tire out.

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

I think it depends on what's actually causing your slump whether doing 3 in a row will help your endurance. It sounds like the break might be throwing you off more than the sections themselves potentially.

Maybe try once where you do three sections straight, then another day where you do 2 break 2 in as similar conditions as possible (what you eat, start time, etc.). And take note of if and where you're losing focus. Regardless of the score you get, see if you felt more alert, less alert, or about the same by going straight through.

If the break is the problem, then instead of practicing three in a row (which won't be the real test circumstances) maybe find a way to stimulate your brain during the break. Idk what that would entail, but maybe read a riddle before you start the test and think about the answer to the riddle during your break?

If you feel about the same with or without the break, then practicing three in a row will be helpful for your endurance. As long as you switch back to the correct format for at least one PT before the real thing.