Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Regressing on my PTs

I have been studying for around 25 - 35 hours per week since May. I started with a diagnostic score of 152, and after about 6 weeks of studying, hit a consistent score of 165 and saw some major improvements. However, the past two weeks I have been getting 160s and 161s on my practice tests which has resulted in a loss of confidence. LR has always been my weak point, but I have now seen a decline in my LG and RC sections as well. I am getting extremely frustrated because I thought I was on track to hit my goal of getting a 167+ on my LSAT in August. I am getting extremely nervous the test as it is approaching quickly. Has this happened to anyone and if so, what is your advice?

Comments

• J WickerJ Wicker Member
    28 karma

Hey! Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I was scoring reasonably well, took the June LSAT, and then promptly lost all motivation to study. After scoring badly on a PT a week or so after the June LSAT, I realized that I needed to take a break. So I took a week off studying, then came back and started hitting my more recent scores. I would suggest that you try to take a few days off (if you don't feel comfortable taking a whole week, why not just 5 days--nothing LSAT related). Alternatively, instead of taking full PTs, try drilling specific sections. Hope this helps!

• TE CSC 2021TE CSC 2021 Core Member
    148 karma

PT slippage is a strong sign of burnout. As counter-intuitive as it is, this is probably the time to take two days completely off from the LSAT and then jump back in with a section, not an entire PT, slowly building back up to a PT. Remember that your goal is to be cresting right at your test date, not on the downslope.

• zoomzoomzoomzoom Member
    462 karma

From my experience, I have found that slippage in PT scores are often due to burnout. Burnout on the LSAT is a real thing and you should prepare accordingly.

The LSAT is a skills test, not a content test. That means if you took time off on a content test, you would start to forget knowledge that would serve you well on the exam. The LSAT is not like that. Think of it like competing in a sporting event. In order to perform your best, you have to be at your best. You have to be well-rested and focused. When you study so much for so long, it can be easy to burnout.

Try to dial back the hours you study and see if you can incorporate more rest time. Trust me, you will not forget what you have learned on the exam.

• dawgslaw123dawgslaw123 Alum Member
    138 karma

@"Michele C" said:
    Hey! Don't know if this is exactly what you're looking for, but I was scoring reasonably well, took the June LSAT, and then promptly lost all motivation to study. After scoring badly on a PT a week or so after the June LSAT, I realized that I needed to take a break. So I took a week off studying, then came back and started hitting my more recent scores. I would suggest that you try to take a few days off (if you don't feel comfortable taking a whole week, why not just 5 days--nothing LSAT related). Alternatively, instead of taking full PTs, try drilling specific sections. Hope this helps!

This exactly.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

I think everyone here has already nailed the hammer on the head; take a break.