Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Last Minute Logic Games Improvement

David1234David1234 Alum Member
edited August 2021 in Logic Games 61 karma

I am taking the August LSAT and was hoping to get some tips for last minute improvement on LGs, my worst section by far. I know this is something that should have been shored months ago but I can only look forward. Yesterday I took PT 83 and did very well besides LG, where I got ¡-15! Suffice to say, I had a bit a major freakout yesterday but now I am ready to get to work.

My current range on PT's is 161 to 166, I really hoped to be in the high 160's - low 170's but my biggest obstacle are the games. My avg's are (LR -4, RC -5.5, LG -8.2). Unfortunately my scores are a bit skewed because the LR no longer counts as 2/4 of the LSAT grade.

My current plan is to take one more PT at some point this week but for the rest of the week just drill logic games. I know it is the easiest section to improve, and I hope to get it close to -2 by the October test, but for now what would your suggestions be for quick improvement. Should I take the same tests over and over again until I get the assumptions down perfectly? Or take a wide range of LG sets so that while question types are similar, the actual details are different and I need to improvise my assumptions? Are there any specific LG types that might be the easiest to perfect and maybe I should focus on those?

Any, and I mean any, suggestions are appreciated as I try to bump my score up.

Comments

• deadheadsebdeadheadseb Member
    edited August 2021 8 karma

You don't really elaborate on your method for LG's. My avg for LG is -1.6. It is by far my best section. I would suggest that you learn the types of logic games, so you know which game boards to use. Visually writing out the game boards is the easiest way to answer all of the questions. Visually showing your inferences makes the games easier. You should try and do a wide range of LG questions rather than the same ones over and over. If you mess up on a specific question type watch the explanations of them. You want to get to a point where you spend a majority of your time making all the game boards and the questions take almost no time. Meaning before you even look at the questions you should have all the possible game boards figured out with all inferences. (This doesn't mean all the possible combinations, just the more broad possibilities. If you have a sequencing game where there are four slots and you have a piece that takes up three spots regardless, in a certain order for example there are only a certain amount of possible game boards that can exist for it.) This is something that naturally I was good at, whereas the other sections were harder for me. That would be my best advice, hope that helped remotely.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that typically one of the games will be much harder than the other three. If you find yourself taking a far longer amount of time making the inferences and game boards, skip it and come back to that one last. Saving time is very important. Also in regards to the question types for LG's, idk the actual names of the types; do the ones that will create boards that work first. Like "If A is in slot 5, then what must be the order?" or "if C is not used in the sequence what is a possible sequence?" When you get an accurate board that works w/ all the rules, put a check next to it. You want to save these accurate game boards in case there is a question that asks you to replace a rule w/ another. "If the rule that H -> R is replaced by one of these, which would have the same effect?" Those questions are gimmies if you do this. Because if you have a build up of boards that you know work w/ all the rules, the correct answer for those questions will work w/ those boards you know work. (If that makes sense) I feel like it is kind of hard to explain this w/o doing so visually, but if you watch the explanations of enough LG's in the course you will understand what I am saying. GOOD LUCK

• David1234David1234 Alum Member
    edited August 2021 61 karma

@deadheadseb said:
    You don't really elaborate on your method for LG's. My avg for LG is -1.6. It is by far my best section. I would suggest that you learn the types of logic games, so you know which game boards to use. Visually writing out the game boards is the easiest way to answer all of the questions. Visually showing your inferences makes the games easier. You should try and do a wide range of LG questions rather than the same ones over and over. If you mess up on a specific question type watch the explanations of them. You want to get to a point where you spend a majority of your time making all the game boards and the questions take almost no time. Meaning before you even look at the questions you should have all the possible game boards figured out with all inferences. This is something that naturally I was good at, whereas the other sections were harder for me. That would be my best advice, hope that helped remotely.

Thank you, it does. I think your suggestion of spending more time on the game boards and less on the questions is a good one. Sometimes instead of splitting my game boards I think I have my rules and inferences down enough for the questions, then I get to a question where I have no idea where to start and I panic.

Edit: Your edit was an awesome addition and should really help me moving forward. I have found myself looking back at past boards I have created for other questions and I forget if they are wrong (as in I was testing an answer and it turned out to be incorrect) or if they worked out. I will be using check marks for now on. Thanks again!

• charliebrowncharliebrown Member
    edited August 2021 24 karma

It sounds like you're at risk for an LG Freakout. Oh no!!!! Mind goes blank.. heart rate rises.. can't think... looking at the clock tick tick tick AHHHHH...

Sound possible?? If so, try some "Nightmare Sets", super quick and easy. choose 3-4 FOUR OR FIVE DOT difficulty logic games from any years-- literally, pick a nightmare set of games.

Do these sets to vaccinate yourself against a freakout. Focus on working the problems, skipping lots of questions, using later Qs to figure out inferences you missed (sometimes in answering a later question you realize something about the game!), and being smart with your time. Dont like, let the number of unanswered Qs get to you.

For me, this is the absolute most valuable use of time. You only need to do it 2 or 3 times, and It makes you freakin' bullet proof and UN-SHAKE-A-BLE. Try it and bring your bada$$ to test day, you've done NIGHTMARE SETS!

hehe.