Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of financial aid do you get if you are broke and married?

I just got married during my gap year and my wife and I have the income one would expect of two humanities degree-holders with plans to go to law school—and a net worth to match. What kind of financial aid is likely for someone in my circumstances?

Comments

• whatsmynamewhatsmyname Member
    606 karma

Wow, if she married you while you're broke, she's a keeper!

• Thy RainThy Rain Core Member
    99 karma

^

• aszane21aszane21 Member
    350 karma

I'd suggest talking to a law school financial aid office (you don't have to talk to all the schools you may apply to, one should be enough to give you an idea). I imagine your FAFSA will look different if you jointly file taxes with your spouse. Are you both planning to go the law school? That may significantly change things relative to if one of y'all worked while the other went to school (basically its no earnings versus low earnings, unless of course y'all do part time school)

• 10 karma

Same boat actually! I'm planning on going to law school but my wife will be working hourly while I do so. If anyone has any insight I'd love to hear it. Will definitely be curious how my FAFSA turns out and I'll be talking to FA extensively.

• JuniebeeJonesJuniebeeJones Core Member
    22 karma

Be thorough with your FAFSA and definitely talk to an admissions counselor or two.That is what their job entails. Be deliberate with your school choices and study, study, study for the LSAT! You are going to need great scores to help with scholarships and grants.

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    edited August 2021 1488 karma

Agreed with @JuniebeeJones Get the best LSAT score you can to maximize your merit-based aid, then do your research about schools that also offer the most need-based aid (separate from federal grants and loans), as not all are equal. This gives you the best shot of attending law school without incurring tremendous debt, which I am sure would be helpful for a newly married couple. Mazel tov, btw! Some basic additional info:

https://www.admissionsdean.com/paying_for_law_school/law-school-scholarships-and-grants/

• TylerterrorTylerterror Core Member
    11 karma

Our situation isn't the exact same as yours, but my husband got lots of grant money when he was finishing up his under grad after we got married. It took into account our finances from 2 years prior (which at the time was 2017 and we were not married/very broke college students). It also only took into account our finances of 2017, even though both of us were being supported by our parents income at the time. I'm not sure how FAFSA works with a graduate degree, but getting married ended up covering the entire last year of my husband's degree! But definitely talk to an admissions counselor, who will have more insight on the graduate side of FAFSA :)