Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Statement Advice

gerstle19gerstle19 Core Member

Hey y'all, I need some PS guidance. How important is it for me to talk about why I want to go to law school when I don't have any legal experience on my resume? I wasn't intending to center my PS around this topic, but I recently heard it's recommended for those that don't have such experience.

For context, I was instead intending to talk about learning something new/how this would be transferable to law school.

Comments

• megansadler12megansadler12 Member
    38 karma

I also do not have any legal experience, but I currently work in a field that requires some similar skills and I have several years of experience. I plan to explain that I want to go to law school because I feel ready to level up the skills I have already been building for years.

• kvitka22kvitka22 Member
    257 karma

From what I gathered from random podcasts and webinars is that you should mention why law but don't center your personal statement around it. It sounds like you are on the right track with writing how your skills are transferable to law school and maybe just add a sentence or two explaining why law, why now. I found this 7Sage post of example personal statements really helpful: https://7sage.com/six-law-school-personal-statements-that-got-into-harvard/#essay-3-populism