Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to simulate post-flex LSAT?

soapsoapsoapsoapsoapsoap Core Member
in General 54 karma

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to PT like you are in the new LSAT test (3 sections but with an experimental, like what the new LSAT is like through June '22), but grade only the three sections? I want to simulate the test as closely as possible without excluding the time and energy it takes for the additional experimental section, and get a grade accurate to what I'd get with just the one LR section. And for anyone who's done this, do you recommend doing it like this?

Is there a way to properly grade just 3/4 sections?

Comments

• mkdioceemkdiocee Member
    edited September 2021 79 karma

I was also wondering this! I've just been PT-ing with all 4 sections, but I wasn't sure how "accurate" the scores were, since only 3 sections will be scored on the actual LSAT. If anyone has any insight on this I would also greatly appreciate it!

Okay,I'm coming back to edit this comment, and I'm not sure if this is confusing, but I just converted some of my recent PTs that were graded on all 4 sections (I believe that's how 7sage grades) and re-graded them, only using 3 sections and grading with an LSAT-flex chart that's only out of 75/76 questions, and the scores were the same. So I would be under the impression that the scores are accurate, in case you were wondering that too. As far as only testing with 3 sections, I would recommend against that. You never know if the 4th section could be one that isn't the experimental, and I think it's really helpful to practice having the mental stamina of taking all 4 sections. It also gives further practice since you get exposure to more questions.
    I hope this was somewhat helpful, and not too confusing!

• byul1000byul1000 Member
    edited September 2021 78 karma

I've been combining sections from older PTs with the newer ones - I select a more recent PT to take, set it to Flex, and then in a separate tab, create another section from an older PT (I do this through the Problem Set function, and with a piece of paper or my hand I cover up information about the game types/difficulty so I don't know what to expect). So for example I just took PT81, set it to Flex (so it eliminated the second LR section), and then before I started I did all 4 games from PT11 under the 35 minute timer with a one minute break before going into the scored PT81. This way, you can also double up on the section that you need the most practice in. For me, it's LG so I just use it as an opportunity to practice that area, but you could also do this with all the LR or RC questions from a section of an older test (or even newer tests for LR since we have an overflow of LR material). Then the score I get back on PT81 is also accurate based on 3 sections, but I'm building the stamina for 4 sections in a row.

Sadly, I'm one of those people who lost out on the 3 section format, since more LR questions usually padded my weak LG. So when I don't set it to Flex, my score looks higher than it would be otherwise. It probably depends on your strengths, but it did impact my score by a few points. That was a very sad day that I realized my average scores are lower when only scoring 3 sections, so I recommend keeping to 3 for more accuracy as early as possible. Hope this makes sense and helps!

Note - on the real test, you get a 1 minute break between sections 1-2 / 3-4 and a 10 minute break between 2-3. So this is a close way to simulate!

• qwertyuiopqwertyuiop Core Member
    114 karma

I've temporarily paused on doing PTs, but back when I simulated it, I would pick a random number 1-4 for the PT I planned on doing that day. Whatever that # section was, I went to an older test and did the same type (e.g. LR). After taking all 4 sections, I would flip a coin (e.g., heads for test 70, tails for test 52), and whichever it was, I would count that section in the scoring when inputting scores into an LSAT flex calculator. That way, you don't know which one is the "experimental" section, so you're giving it you're all on all sections (like how you'd do it on the real thing).

• tahurrrrrtahurrrrr Member
    1106 karma

I take the tests on law hub in self-paced mode. Do sections 1,2, and 4 (LG, LR1, and RC respectively) of the test you want on law hub in any order. When time is up, pause the section. DO NOT finish section. If you finish, you won't be able to blind review.

Then for the experimental section, either do the 2nd LR section of the same test or do the LG or RC from a different test. Then manually input your answers in to 7sage.

• T.A. AusafT.A. Ausaf Yearly Member
    70 karma

@soapsoapsoap @mkdiocee You can still do 4 section PT's as @imakeit_rainism and @tahurrrrr are doing, but then convert your score to 3-section using the tool: https://7sage.com/lsat-flex-score-converter/

Remember whatever section you do 2 of, choose the worst of the 2 to properly simulate worst possible score/conditions.

And as others have said, be sure to take a 10 minute break (mandatory) halfway through (between sections 2 and 3 of 4 total).

• mkdioceemkdiocee Member
    79 karma

@"T.A. Ausaf" said:
    @soapsoapsoap @mkdiocee You can still do 4 section PT's as @imakeit_rainism and @tahurrrrr are doing, but then convert your score to 3-section using the tool: https://7sage.com/lsat-flex-score-converter/

Remember whatever section you do 2 of, choose the worst of the 2 to properly simulate worst possible score/conditions.

And as others have said, be sure to take a 10 minute break (mandatory) halfway through (between sections 2 and 3 of 4 total).

Thank you for this recommendation! That is what I have been doing-I tend to score pretty evenly across all sections, which is why I think my scores tended to match up when I re-grade them using the converter.