Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

168 on June LSAT: Want to retake, but how to improve?

tianwei.l.94tianwei.l.94 Free Trial Member
in General 4 karma
Hi everyone,

I recently got my scores back for the June LSAT, and ended up with 168. Since my goal score was 75, I’m applying to retake the exam in September. Up till now, I’ve been doing mostly self study, and have gone through an ungodly amount of textbooks + over 15 practice tests, which I'd been working through since February.

What would you guys recommend as a next step, for getting that 7-point increase? I’m thinking of taking classes (since I’ve exhausted all my self-study materials), but am not sure if it’s worth the time and money to get a private tutor. However, that being said, taking group classes seems like it might also not be so smart, since I’ve already fairly grasped the LSAT basics and methodology.

Thoughts?

Comments

• AddistotleAddistotle Member
    328 karma
    If you're willing the spend the money... enroll here.

Otherwise, maybe @"Nicole Hopkins" is a good place to get some tutoring, she's awesome!
  • joecarterruskeyjoecarterruskey Free Trial Member
    166 karma
    You've only done 15 practice tests? Do more of those and you'll probably get the score increase you're looking for
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    Agreed,
    @joecarterruskey said:
    You've only done 15 practice tests? Do more of those and you'll probably get the score increase you're looking for
    Do 15-20 more timed tests and be sure to review them properly and you'll hit your score.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @Addistotle said:
    Otherwise, maybe @"Nicole Hopkins" is a good place to get some tutoring, she's awesome!
    :D PM me, OP!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    15 pts and you got that score? Id just keep taking more pts and deep brs and you'll get to your target.
  • cal6005cal6005 Free Trial Member
    106 karma
    Hey @tianwei.l.94

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Scored a 169 on the June test, which was below my PT scores in the 170s. Looking to improve my score on the September test. I also felt like I had a good understanding of the concepts and I somehow missed questions on the test that I normally wouldn't have missed in my PTs so I don't know where to begin studying for the retake.

If you're interested, I would be willing to study together for the September test. I feel your pain though. But we got this!!
  • kazrahkazrah Alum Member
    158 karma
    Exact same boat as you, got a 168 when I was shooting for 170+

Already registered for Sept and am planning on definitely getting my desired score this time. I'll be working on PT's and doing my best to shave off 3 min from each section
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    @kazrah said:
    I'll be working on PT's and doing my best to shave off 3 min from each section
    You make a great point here. I think when it comes to retakes its not so much as what else I can learn about problem types (while still important) but strategy plays a bigger role.

Shaving time so you can review more questions, really nailing down a skip strategy, things like this tend to not be the main priority when studying the first time but strategy seems to be much more of a factor in retakes.
  • MrSamIamMrSamIam Inactive ⭐
    2086 karma
    With an official 168 score, you would be a great candidate for private tutoring. Breaking into the 170s entails finding out what your specific weaknesses are (timing, not skipping properly, etc.). That's something that tutor can help with.
    You'll also want to go through as many PTs as possible. BR them properly and you'll be scoring in the 170 range in no time (okay...not "in no time" but you catch my drift).
  • Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27809 karma
    While you definitely need to do some more PTs, I'd stop way short of saying that's all you need to do to proceed. In the high 160s and 170s you are climbing a vertical wall. To get a 7 point increase is uphill but relatively horizontal in the 140s, but into the 170s it's a completely different task. You need to not only study more, you need to study better. Improve your study habits. Live the LSAT with strict discipline. The 7 points you're trying to bridge are insanely difficult points. You can totally do it if you stay focused and maintain high level study habits. Just don't be under any illusion that you're not going to have to struggle for every single point above your 168.