Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asking Schools to Review Your Application With a Pending LSAT Date?

edited September 2021 in Law School Admissions 36 karma

I'm taking the LSAT again in November, but was hoping to have some of the schools where I'm already above the median review my application right away so I'm more competitive for scholarships. Is this ok to ask or will schools see it as me not wanting to attend since the pending LSAT date will obviously be for me to try and get into a better school?

Comments

• sarakimmelsarakimmel Member
    1488 karma

Having a pending LSAT date will automatically flag your application to be held. If you have an LSAT score that you are applying with, yes you can submit, but you should also email Admissions to tell them that you'd like your file reviewed as is so that they don't hold it for your November scores. That is the advice I have heard from several AdComms, so you should be fine as long as you communicate that to the schools.

That being said, November is still considered early, and especially this cycle when schools are likely to hold out longer before making offers, you may want to wait anyway, especially if you think your November score will increase. Even a point or two higher could mean more scholarship dollars. Just something to consider...

• edited September 2021 43 karma

I applied to schools showing that I registered for the October LSAT. I only applied to schools where I was above the median with my current score thinking they would review right away, and held off applying to schools where I would need a better LSAT. Guess I'll go back through my apps and tell those schools to go ahead and review my application. Can I tell them to re review my application with my new score if necessary? Or if you are rejected do they not care about your new LSAT score in the same admission cycle?

1488 karma

@Jiujitsujunkie , You can inform them of the updated score in consideration for scholarship, but I am unsure if they are able to reconsider your acceptance/rejection if your file has already been reviewed and decided. Sounds like you may want to hold off? Scores for October will be out well in advance of Thanksgiving (the current benchmark for an early app). As they say, send your best possible application.

• 43 karma

@sarakimmel Copy that! Did not know Thanksgiving was the current benchmark for early app. Thanks!

edited September 2021 1488 karma

@Jiujitsujunkie after last cycle, there is reason to believe that schools may hold off longer than usual on their decisions until they have a better idea of the applicant pool so they don't paint themselves into a corner like last cycle. Here's more info than you probably need, but I found it to be a very thorough explanation of the last cycle as well as implications for the this one:
    https://blog.spiveyconsulting.com/thoughts-data-on-2020-2021-cycle/

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Speaking as a former admissions officer, you should check with each individual school as different admissions offices have different policies when it comes to future test registration. For School A, as long as they have a completed application on hand, they will review your file when it comes up in the queue regardless of test registration. For School B, if they see a future test registration, they will deem your file incomplete and hold it until the test results are available, thereby reducing any benefit you might get from submitting an application earlier in the cycle. Lastly, no matter what their individual policy, you can ask them to accommodate your own request and see what they say. It never hurts to ask in a polite and professional manner. Good luck!