Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it a good idea to apply early decision when I'm taking the November LSAT?

My GPA is lower than the median GPA for the school that I want to go to, so I wanted to apply early decision to increase my chance of admission. However, I am taking the November LSAT so my application will be submitted before I get to see my score. My practice tests have been around the range that I would like to have for applying and is close to the school's 75th percentile score. However, I know anything can happen on test day and I'm not sure if this would be the best decision.Is this a good idea/is anyone else doing this?

Comments

• WhatIsLifeWhatIsLife Member
    edited October 2021 810 karma

I've read that if you don't have a LSAT score on your file applying early decision does not make a difference because they won't even look at your file unless you have an LSAT score.

https://magoosh.com/lsat/should-i-apply-before-getting-my-lsat-score/#:~:text=Law%20schools%20won't%20consider,look%20at%20your%20file%20early

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited October 2021 8313 karma

If you dont have a score, your app wont go complete.

Also, school dependent but generally:

If your score ends up sub-median, ED wont help you. They aren't looking to admit people that hurt medians for ED, they're looking to lock in solid applicants.

If you kill the test, you didn't need any ED "boost" anyway, and you've just thrown away your ability to negotiate aid.

Except for select circumstances such as a guaranteed scholarship, or a long game strategy to signal yield for a WL pull, #saynotoED.

Edit: I can see this situation being ok...

You are far above a school's medians, but for whatever reason its your top pick, and you either get an ED scholarship or don't care about cost... then by signaling yield, an ED app could potentially stave off a YP WL.

• iasdkadfg-1iasdkadfg-1 Member
    121 karma

Im completely in agreement with @canihazJD. Ed won't significantly boost your chances of admission, but would rather hurt your chances of getting scholarship. (Except maybe northwestern).