Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Law school application

Beeps_02Beeps_02 Core Member
edited December 2021 in Law School Admissions 12 karma

Greetings everyone, just wanted some pointers on an upcoming application. During my last application cycle, I was waitlisted at my #1 school, I sent a letter of continued interest, and ended up not getting admitted. I applied really really late in the admissions cycle which is the main reason as to why I was not admitted (2 weeks before deadline in May). Now for this upcoming cycle I'd like to apply in the next few weeks, I have everything in order (revised PS, resume, letters, etc) but I will be taking the January LSAT in hopes of scoring higher. My current LSAT score is about the 25th percentile at the school. I'd like to apply as soon as possible and just let them know I have a pending LSAT in a few weeks. What should I do? #help

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. Do you want the school to HOLD your application for review until after your January results are released? Each school has its own policy about how it treats future test registration, whether they will wait to review or just review so long as you have at least one valid LSAT score in your application. If this school's application doesn't address the future test issue, you should reach out to admissions and ask them to wait to review your file until the new score is available. Good luck!

• Beeps_02Beeps_02 Core Member
    12 karma

@"Selene Steelman" Not sure, I honestly want a decision as soon as possible and to be ahead of the curve with other applicants. The same school held my late application until new LSAT test results were released. If I apply now regardless if I improve or not I think I'd have a better chance than if I were to apply come Febuary when results are released, and thats if I improve, so I'm sort of in a pickle. Thank you for your feedback and hope to hear from you soon!

• @"Selene Steelman" I have a score on file but also taking the January test, some schools reached out to me asking if I want them to review my apps without holing it until the new score release. However, for the schools that didn't address this problem, can I assume that the protocol is to consider my applications with my current score? Or should I reach out to them asking not to hold my file?
    I really appreciate your feedback! Happy holidays!!

2037 karma

@perezb8 If your target school has a policy of delaying review of an application until the new score is received, your file will not be reviewed until February. If you submit your materials now, you may get a slight benefit in terms of timing because the admissions office might process your "incomplete" file before the February score release date. Once your results hit, your file may go "complete" quickly. Suppose you were to wait and submit your application until after the score release. It is possible your application might get stuck in a processing bottleneck at admissions along with all the other candidates who waited until the score release date. Depending on the admissions office policy, you MIGHT get a boost in terms of timing if you submit before the February release date. Good luck!

2037 karma

@ceilinginthedark I wouldn't assume anything about a school's admissions policy with evaluation and test results. If you are at all unclear about what admissions might do, I strongly encourage you to reach out for clarification and tell them exactly what you would like them to do about your application. Good luck!