Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

#help Explanation for PT C.S2.Q22

young grasshopper-1-1young grasshopper-1-1 Core Member
edited February 2022 in Logical Reasoning 24 karma

Can someone explain why the answer is C and not A? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• khandelwal.43khandelwal.43 Core Member
    11 karma

I had the same question. During timed test, I chose C, but then I went back and changed it to A because I thought that that was the main premise which the conclusion needed to be supported. I guess because it is an example, the conclusion relies on its truth or falsity?

• casablanca-1casablanca-1 Core Member
    86 karma

Hey, what pt is it? I'll try and help :)

• Steven_B-1Steven_B-1 Member
    794 karma

A says - the claim is required to establish the conclusion - meaning that if we cross out or eliminate the claim referenced, the conclusion would no longer be supported.

However, the first sentence of the paragraph, which isn't being disputed and which remains intact, would be enough by itself to allow us to draw the conclusion. In simple words: who cares if we get rid of the second statement, we would still have enough information to draw the conclusion. Therefore, we can't conclude that the claim referenced is required for the conclusion.

C is right because its just saying that the claim isn't in contradiction with the conclusion and yes that is true there is no contradiction between the statements so it is compatible.