Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decision Timing

Hi everyone, I applied to 6 schools and was accepted to my top choice school (UT) and another good in-state option (SMU). However, I have still not heard back from the other 4 schools (BC, Duke, Vandy, NW) and the deposit deadline for UT/SMU is April 14. I applied to all late December. As the deadline approaches, is it ever appropriate to reach out for an accelerated decision? I'm worried I will have to deposit without knowing results from other schools, and without being able to ask for scholarship reconsideration from UT or SMU. Does anyone have advice for this situation?

Comments

• 11 karma

I have heard of people putting down the first deposit while they wait to hear from other schools. Not necessarily ethical to some people, but useful when you are stuck in a tough position.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8486 karma

You can reach out to schools to ask if they can expedite review, but that doesn't mean they'll do it. Part of the game, unfortunately, is sometimes having to drop deposits you may ultimately lose.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Former admissions officer here. According to LSAC, https://www.lsac.org/about/lsac-policies/statement-good-admission-and-financial-aid-practices, law schools should "Allow applicants to freely accept a new offer from a law school even though a scholarship has been accepted, a deposit has been paid, or a commitment has been made to another school." Law schools can make their own rules about how and when to accept an offer, particularly when scholarships are involved. But unless the school explicitly states that a candidate must withdraw their other applications when depositing with their program, you can make the best decision for your situation. Your goal is to go to a law school this fall. You don't know what sort of results to expect from your remaining applications. It would make sense to put down a deposit with your current best option. In the meantime, you can politely reach out and inquire about the status of your pending applications. Depending on the behavior of the school's applicant pool, it is not unusual to receive final decisions AFTER a deposit deadline. Good luck!