Deferrals

I am curious about general policy/sentiment regarding deferrals. Do schools generally view them favorably (especially this year with so many applicants) or unfavorably? I enjoy my current job and am somewhat ambivalent whether I go this year or next. Would they preserve my scholarship? Would there be a chance at increased scholarship if I just re-apply? @"Selene Steelman"

Comments

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Hi @LBIsurfer. Each school has its own deferral policy. It may also be affected by the behavior of the applicant pool for that particular year. If a program has too many deposits, they may welcome deferral requests. From an admissions perspective, requesting a deferral for health or professional reasons with a clear explanation would not be unusual. Depending on the school's policy, the candidate may have to agree not to apply to any other schools or attend another program during the deferral period. You may have to sign a deferral agreement. You can ask if your scholarship will be reserved but schools have their own policies about this as well. You might be told that your fill will be reevaluated for scholarship against the strength of the future incoming class. Scholarships are often used to secure commitments from desirable candidates. If you reapply, your scholarship chances will depend on the strength of your application against the new applicant pool. Good luck!