Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bridging my timed and BR scores #help

edited April 2022 in General 27 karma

I've finished almost all the CC and I've taken 5 full length tests so far. I'm registered for the April exam and intend to take the June exam as well. I'm struggling to bridge my BR and timed scores. Timed I have yet to break 155. BR I'm hitting 161-164. My goal is a 165+. Any advice on whether I should continue to take full length tests and crank them out or focus on drilling timed sections? I'm feeling a bit stuck and anxious. Thanks!

Comments

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

You need both. Your drilling should be tailored to the results of your PT reviews.

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

The first thing you've got to address is just getting your BR score up. That's really your theoretical max, so it needs to be comfortably and consistently above your target score. For 165+ I'd really want to see that in the lower-mid 170's. So that's a matter of committing to the process and nailing down those fundamentals. You can do that with full length PT's or timed sections just as well, though individual sections can be a little more targeted which can be important when you're trying to focus on something specific.

And there's a lot more than just PT's and timed drills. Some of the most important work on time management strategy is going to be best addressed using untimed section drills. That might sound counter-intuitive, but it's important to take your time to think about what the right timing decisions are. Good time management does not mean going faster. It means working more efficiently and making good decisions about the work you choose to invest time in. We don't get to do everything we'd ideally like to do, so timed sections are not compressed BR's where we do all the work just faster. Timed sections are entirely different undertakings that require unique skills in order to succeed on. In untimed drills, you limit yourself to the work you think will be most effective and realistic within the 35 minute time restriction. You take your time to think about what to do where you need to, and you finish the section however long it takes. But you don't do any work you decide would not be a good investment under timed conditions. When you get really good at untimed drills, they should take you 35 minutes.