Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Study buddy for 2016 test date?

Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
in General 893 karma
I am not having much luck getting any responses to my study buddy inquiries using the beta program, perhaps because I am still at least two test cycles away from taking the test. So, I thought I would try a discussion post to see if anyone out there is starting their LSAT prep now for one of the 2016 test dates (perhaps June or October, 2016) and would like to get an early start on a study buddy partner?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Since even the top package only gives you one year of access on 7Sage I feel like you won't be as likely to find someone shooting for next summer or fall until after the October LSAT... However given the larger user base, you might find someone on TLS sooner than that and you could convince them to use 7Sage with you.
  • Chipster StudyChipster Study Yearly Member
    893 karma
    Thanks for your thoughts. I didn't have much luck with my one post to date on TLS. People were really rude. I am a non-traditional student (but not an URM) and I guess I just didn't resonate. Maybe I will try again. Gotta be someone else starting now for next year.
    8021 karma
    Sorry to hear that... I know people can be pretty unsupportive on TLS. You'll definitely find a lot more friendly and supportive people on here, you just might have to wait to find people testing next year. Good luck!
    8021 karma
    I will add that if you can find a subcategory or thread on TLS that fits your goals or profile it can be a bit easier to find people to talk to. That's why I almost exclusively read the veteran's thread there since it is a really supportive community and not like the general hive mind over there.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    My theory is half of the people on TLS are liars. There's no way that EVERYONE on there gets a 170+. Moreover, they don't even have anything intelligent to say. All you hear is, "retake."
    893 karma
    Agree. Or, you hear, "why do you want to go to law school" or "don't go to law school." I am not sure why there is so much snarkiness.

Pacifico, I was a civilian employee of the Army and just absolutely loved it. Where did you serve?
    8021 karma
    I was at Fort Bragg for my whole six and a half years. One more month and I'm all done!
    893 karma
    Cool. E or O?
    8021 karma
    Enlisted, getting out as a Staff Sergeant. Where did you work?
    893 karma
    Ireland Army Community Hospital at Ft. Knox. 82nd is some real fightin's. Plus all those mysterious ones back there in the woods.
    8021 karma
    Yeah the 82nd was a scene. USASOC was too, just in a different way. Definitely glad I'm done with static line jumps, so much risk for such a boring style of parachuting.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    You could join a Skype BR group and maybe find someone there to study with or maybe even if it's someone who'll be retaking next June or so.
    893 karma
    I am a little nervous about this course already. I am picking up some errors already in the lectures. For instance, J.Y. says in the beginning lectures on LR that "therefore" in the last sentence is almost always a trap and does not preface the main conclusion. I listened to that lecture twice and he was quite strong in his warning. Then the very first actual LSAT question he discusses violates that rule with no explanation and he labels what seems to be a straight context statement as a premise. There was also some less than clean point summaries in the introductory lectures. Is this just isolated or does this confusing stuff continue throughout the course?
    8021 karma
    Those aren't errors; there is very little that JY will tell you is a hard and fast rule, and often he specifically guards against you taking what he says as absolute. Such examples reinforce keeping you on your toes; it's a good thing you noticed this, not a fault in the system, because he got you to pay closer attention which I think is the real point.

I don't find what you're referencing to be confusing, it just shows the variability in the LSAT writers' approaches to question writing. Later on he will talk about acceptable situation questions in LGs but then the first several games you do won't have them. It's the same concept in play. JY points out a fairly common occurrence and then there are examples that don't follow that, which shows you the variability the test has.

Regardless, it's nothing to worry about or get caught up in. Just keep pressing through and you'll figure it all out, but if you do get stuck feel free to hit us up anytime.

If and when JY does make actual mistakes (and it does happen) it is usually acknowledged in the comments (or very rarely a correction is superimposed on the video itself).
    893 karma
    That's very helpful way to look at things, Sarge. Thank you for your thoughts.
    8021 karma
    No problem, 7Sage is meant to be consumed as it is laid out before you, so as long as you keep trucking, it will all come together. If it's not and you have questions, then ask away.