Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PTs aren't where I want going into my second LSAT.

CadenWalshCadenWalsh Member
in General 42 karma

Hi all,

I feel a little stressed, as I booked my second LSAT for tomorrow, and got more overwhelmed with school than I previously thought I would be.

I scored 159 on my first LSAT largely due to nerves and some test day mistakes. I am PTING from 164-165, but I am hoping to finish with a 166-167 range.

I feel pretty stressed, and want to feel ok about taking a third test if I need to, but I am not sure if it is work the risk. Anyone have any advice on this? if I do decide to take it again, I will practice all summer and see if I can make significant improvement.

Comments

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    2244 karma

As long as your score goes up by at least a point, I don’t think having an extra test attempt will hurt you at all. It would actually help. I’ve read and heard from numerous people who have taken the test 3+ times and are now at a T14 school. @canihazJD is one of these people, for instance (sorry for tagging you in back to back posts @canihazJD ! I just find your story inspirational and helpful.)

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    edited April 2022 8460 karma

@"Matt Sorr"

No worries. I try to keep a presence here since I got so much out of this community.

7 takes, though most of them were during FLEX when they didn't count. Quick note to say I wouldn't recommend the way I approached takes 1-5.

One of the most valuable things to recognize during LSAT prep is that your long term goals are more important than starting this year, or taking the next upcoming test. You necessarily change the way you approach content when you have a timeline hanging over your head. I think its one of the more detrimental things you can do.

I turned down full rides + stipends to retake/reapply because those schools wouldn't have facilitated achievement of my carer goals. I held off applying with a 169 (from a November test) because I knew a better score later would generate better outcomes than a lower score now. A lot of this process, including the LSAT itself is about controlling your emotions and impulses and being mindful of the long game.

@CadenWalsh I find it helpful to work backwards with people facing the same dilemma. The end game isn't the school you go to. Why do you want to go to law school... what do you want to do?

That answer should give you a range of schools suitable for those goals.

Which should give you a target score range.

Then you just train until you get there... at which point you are ready to consider taking the test.

Despite the natural drive to start school now and get on with the next stage of your life, I highly recommend this approach. Training for this test is a different game when you are shooting for a goal, not a date.

• CadenWalshCadenWalsh Member
    42 karma

I understand, I suppose that is where I got into the predicament I am today. Not that the next test is a wash. There is a great chance I make significant improvements from my last test.

It is important to note I am from Canada, and want to go to a higher end school in Canada.

Moving forward from this test regardless of the result, I will decide if I want to keep practicing (or have it in me lmao). If I do decide to keep practicing, I will take the test when I feel ready, rather than for a deadline basis.

I appreciate your advice, especially the questions of why I want to go to law, and what this means for me.

I suppose far too often the journey feels like living to the expectations of those who encourage you, rather than for yourself.

• Justinnnn-1Justinnnn-1 Member
    78 karma

I wish I had your problem. I am from Canada as well, although I am only BRing your PTs. I can't seem to get out of the low/mid 150s, and even sometimes I am getting 149's. I am guessing you are hoping to get into Toronto or McGill with those aspirations? Cause most schools in Canada are fine with a high 150 low 160 with a good GPA.

• CadenWalshCadenWalsh Member
    42 karma

@Justinnnn-1
    I am actually looking at UVIC I think but I know they are more fluid with the admissions. However, I want to keep my options because if I got into Toronto or Vancouver, I might decide that is what is best for me.

a low 160 is nothing to be ashamed of, for me I think it is the stagnation that is sure to come from practicing something, but I also feel like I can overcome it which is a bit more frustrating.

If I can give you some advice as a peer, I would focus on your GPA and do the LSAT when you can. I made the mistake of trying both and it is very difficult without one suffering over the other. Practice lots, for me one-day certain sections just clicked (LG specifically), it's hard to learn to look at these questions under the LSAT perspective, but once you do it becomes much easier.

I appreciate the response, it has made me feel better before my test I am about to take lol.