155->175, offering free help for June test takers

dustin13dustin13 Member
edited May 2022 in General 330 karma

It was in the last three weeks that I finally started hitting the 175+ mark consistently. I’m happy to talk to anyone about their unique situation and offer tips for making the most of these last three weeks. Leave a comment or send a dm and we can chat.

Comments

• jfisher1jfisher1 Free Trial Member
    3 karma

How long did it take you to get to that 170 benchmark? And is there any trick to LG? I'm consistently -4 on LR and -5 on RC. I just can't consistently get there on LG... hanging out around -10 to -7 - and I've heard LG is the low-hanging fruit, warranting expectation of -0...

• dustin13dustin13 Member
    edited May 2022 330 karma

@jfisher1 Answering your questions in order: 1) It probably took me a couple of months to hit 170. Breaking into the 175+ is what took me the longest time. I had to overcome some serious plateaus with RC and LR. 2) LG tricks? For me it was just the 7Sage curriculum and then drill, drill, drill. Foolproof method, etc. I did literally every released logic game. Not sure if you're putting in that level of practice. 3) See my comment below for a bit of LR advice. 4) For RC, send me a DM.

• victoriastarrett92victoriastarrett92 Core Member
    34 karma

Were you working full time or devoting time to studying full time? Or a mix of part time for both?

I'm working full time as an upper level manager and can't devote a ton of time to studying during the week, so I try to do an hour or two everyday during the week and then devote all day saturday to studying.

What do yoy mean by "recurring patterns that show up" in RC?

Thanks!
    Victoria

• alarak14alarak14 Member
    9 karma

Do you have any advice on Reading Comprehension? I consistently score at -2 to -0 for LG and -4 for LR but RC is a total toss up. It can be anywhere from -4 to -10 which really messes up my chances of hitting 170. 20 days left and I'm starting to feel hopeless.

@victoriastarrett92 I'd say a mix of both. I studied on and off for over a year.

Sounds like you're doing great with your study time. If possible, I'd suggest trying to get some study time in before work. You're going to get the biggest bang for your study buck when you are at your freshest.

To answer your last question: What I mean is that RC is more formulaic than most students realize. And you can exploit that formulaic nature just as we do with LG and LR. For example, what makes it possible to go from complete bewilderment with LG puzzles to slick mastery? It's learning that the puzzles really just come down to a set of repeating games that play out again and again. Once you learn each game type, you've got a shortcut to help you with each new puzzle. That's the kind of recurring pattern I'm talking about. What may be surprising is that I'm suggesting that those kinds of patterns exist with RC.

Here's my response to someone who messaged me with these details: LG= -1, LR= -3/-4 (timing an issue), RC = -2/-3:

Sounds like you're doing pretty well!

My tips, based on your situation:

LG:

Tip 1) Don't let up on LG! Many students get their LG score where they want it (or close) and then redirect their LG study time to weaker sections. Makes sense, but it's a big mistake. Work on those weak sections, but the last thing you want is for your LG skills to grow soft in the days/weeks leading up to the test. You've gotta keep up regular LG practice to maintain that shiny -1/-0.

2) It's very common for test day LG to feel harder than normal. It's a lot easier to be thrown off with all the stress and pressure. Plus, you might be thrown a truly crazy puzzle. You don't want any of this to mess with your results. I prepared for this my last three weeks by looking up a list of the 10 hardest LG games of all time. The absolutely brutal ones. And I foolproofed the hell out of 3-4 of them per week. This prepares you for any LG curveballs on test day.

LR:

3) Here's what helped me go from -3/-4 to -0/-1 in LR during my last few weeks: I wrote out a list of all the LR question types. I then spent time thinking about and reviewing content on each one. I wanted to get to the very nature of the question type. It's easy to assume you already get it. But in my experience, students--my former self included--often have little misapprehensions they're not aware of. So, it was essential that I took another look at each question type, digging into their very roots: What is it asking me to do? What does it want the correct AC to achieve? When I come across a question of this type what should my instinct be (how will I read the stimulus? how will I pre-phrase?)? After writing out a full explanation for a question type, I'd drill that question type again and again until reacting to a question of that type became second nature. The goal was to make everything as automatic and instantaneous as possible. I didn't have even a second to lose (because they add up). I also memorized the question stems for each question type so I could instantly recognize the question type when glancing at the question stem (which, as 7Sage suggests, you should read before the stimulus).

4) I started playing a game where I'd try to get the first 10 Qs done in 10 minutes. If I needed an extra few seconds on one question, I'd try to zip through the next question to bring the average back down to 1 minute. I made sure it was a game, not something stressful. I'd then try to get the next 5 done in another 5 minutes. Once I got good at it, I'd end up with 20 minutes for the last 10 Qs.

One reason why this game is important is that too often we spend more time on the easiest questions (which are front loaded in an LR section).

5) Don't make the mistake of spinning your wheels on questions. Something that helped me with timing was being honest with myself about being stuck. If I knew I was in the weeds 45 seconds to 1 minute in, I marked an AC, flagged it and planned to come back (as opposed to making that decision after 3 minutes). Better to come back to those questions with fresh eyes.

RC

I've got plenty to say on RC improvement. However, it's advice that would also require substantial changes to your RC approach. They're shifts in strategy that made a big difference for me during my final weeks. But I was at -6/-7 with RC. And I needed to get that down to -1/-3. So it made more sense for me to transition to a different approach. Given that you're already at -2/-3 with only 3 weeks to go, I'd say maintain what you're doing.

330 karma

@alark14 I'll DM you.

• apena186apena186 Member
    4 karma

I am at 8-9 wrong on RC, any advice?

LG/ LR/ generic timing Qs I can easily answer here. But for big RC improvement, I’d suggest a new method I’ve developed. But I can’t lay that out in a few paragraphs. I need to be able to walk through passages with you.

Otherwise, this forum is better suited for some quick general tips or info about LR/LG.

• rlaskatn21rlaskatn21 Alum Member
    17 karma

Thank you so much for this!! What did your study schedule look like once you starting hitting 175+ consistently? (So the last few weeks leading up to the exam)

• KangtimeKangtime Alum Member
    74 karma

Similar to Alarak14, my RC is really a wild card, ranging anywhere from -2 to -11. Could you also let me know of your techniques for RC? I am scoring overall 168~172 with usually -2~-4 for LR, and approaching -0 ~ -2 for LG. Really would appreciate some insight on RC!

@rlaskatn21 That's a great question. A few things: 1) I studied each section, each drill day. However, I rotated the section I started with so that each section got attention when I was at my freshest. I was already strong with LG so I only started with it about once per week. 2) I took one PT per week. The rest of the time was focused on drilling and shoring up the basics. 3) On drill days, I did about 1-1.5 hrs with LG, 2-2.5 hrs for LR, and 2-2.5 hrs for RC. (I was able to take off work for the final stretch). *See the lengthy comment above for some of what I was doing during LR and LG practice time.

330 karma

@haram.kang, I'll send you a DM

• faizanhuda12faizanhuda12 Alum Member
    22 karma

@dustin13 is also the creator of RC HERO and I would advise anyone to take his RC advice with a grain of salt if he promotes the RC HERO Course to you in the DM's as he is the creator of it.

• ScofieldZScofieldZ Core Member
    32 karma

@dustin13 Thank you so much for doing this! I am now scoring LG -0/-2, LR -2/-5(a bit unstable), and RC -4/-6 (timing sometimes an issue) which gives me an overall score of 168~172.
    I am taking a prep test every other day with the day in between used for blind review and drilling. I am taking the June test but unsure whether the current strategy is the right one.

LG: I tend to spend time verifying every answer choice instead of being bold enough to choose the correct one and leave. This sometimes leaves me in a position with not enough time to resolve all the puzzles in the last game.

LR: I am not performing well on Pseudo Sufficient Assumption, Parallel Flaw of Reasoning, Weakening, and Disagree. And tend to make, in my opinion, silly mistakes on some easier questions..

RC: I've recently moved from scoring unsteadily between -6 to -10 to now constantly scoring -4/-5. After blind review I can usually get to -1/-2.

Based on this, is there any advice you would give in terms of how to utilize the remaining 2 weeks before the exam?

Thank you so much! Appreciate it.

• Neha KhanNeha Khan Member
    68 karma

How do you recommend to improve in RC?

330 karma

@Scofield Zou I recommend slowing down with the prep tests. That's one of the biggest mistakes I made as I studied for the LSAT. The best and biggest growth comes from your drilling. I wouldn't take a timed test more than once a week with a few timed sections in between. Take a look at your weaknesses, spend time figuring out what you are not understanding, and then make a drill set. Doing one after the other will help you make serious progress. (As opposed to jumping around from section to section, question type to question type every day as you do prep tests).

Take a look at my comment on LR drilling for an idea of how to approach this drilling.

• ScofieldZScofieldZ Core Member
    32 karma

@dustin13 Hi Dustin, thank you so much! That makes sense.
    Would you mind also sharing the trick/approach you had to get your RC from -6 to -1/-0? Is there a chance we can walk through a passage together?

• AJamal22AJamal22 Member
    205 karma

@dustin13 Hey Dustin. This is slightly a different question that what you are asking and lookin for. But I thought I'd shoot. I'm currently contemplating retaking and reapplying for the upcoming cycle after my last cycle didn't turn out as expected. My final score was a 165 and I was coming off with RC being my worst section (-7 to -4) , then LR (-6 to -3), and finally LG (-5 to 0 (I was slighlty inconsistent)). As I begin to think about how to get back into the studying process, what methods do you have for someone like me that went through the 7Sage curriculum, took endless PTs with BR, and drilled. What should I start off with and how should I ease my way in so I don't get the PTSD I ended off with last cycle haha (last exam I took was Nov 2021).

330 karma

@"Scofield Zou" I'll Dm you.

@AJamal22 Well, I'm glad you've had a breather. I did the same thing, and I wouldn't have survived without taking a several month break. Here's what I'd say about your situation.

1) I'd get that LG under control. I'm not sure what kind of time you've got for studying or when you are planning to test (August?), but I'd start working through as many LG puzzles as humanly possible and being really strict with your foolproofing (if you get anything other than -0 and the 7Sage suggested time, do it again--and again and again--until you do).

2) Look up a list of the 10 most difficult logic games and tackle a couple per week leading up to the test. This will help prepare you for curveball games.

3) I can DM you about RC.

Oh and don't forget to take of yourself. Start meditating, exercising, eating well. These things should help you better cope with the stress of having to attack the LSAT one more time.

• wiltwilt Member
    27 karma

Any tips for getting faster in LG? I can consistently score 100% when I don't time myself, but I usually don't get to the last 4 or 5 questions normally

• jdy_930_jdy_930_ Member
    4 karma

Mind sharing specific details of these "patterns" you began to notice? I see JY mentioning cookie cutter structure in LR and RC but I don't know where to begin to get better at recognizing said patterns.

• paulyou77paulyou77 Core Member
    74 karma

Hey. RC is my weakest section... what do you recommend in approaching RC? I just did PTs but I flopped really bad for April so am wondering if I should take a different approach to RC. Also, could you tell me what you noticed in the RC? Thanks...

330 karma

@wilt When you drill games (and it's important that you drill a lot of them), my advice is this: After completing each puzzle, check not just the answers but also check your time against 7Sage's suggested time. And if you didn't complete the puzzle at or under that time, then do it again--and again and again--until you do. Then move on to the next game.

• BreonawinfreyBreonawinfrey Live Member
    5 karma

Hey Dustin I would like some tips

• 1230_sunny1230_sunny Member
    edited May 2022 68 karma

Thanks for sharing tips! LG is the most confident section, but I think for the first section of the real test LG makes me the most nervous. Personally I feel like LR and RC is more like an openbook test as I can find the answer as long as I can read it, but I still have anxiety that I might blow up the whole game set. Especially, for the first section. I'm good at getting -0 or -1 for drill, so I'd be great to know a few tips for handling anxiety when it comes to LG section on the real exam

• LSWkndWrrior-1LSWkndWrrior-1 Core Member
    35 karma

I can definitely use the help, trying to get to min 155 for the June LSAT

• keyvan.farmankeyvan.farman Member
    8 karma

If you have any tips for how to tackle 'flaw', 'must be true', or 'method of reasoning questions' please let me know! I get most LR questions correct: except for those particular ones which are causing me a lot of grief. If you have any specific strategies for those I'd love to hear it.

• tufurahie330tufurahie330 Member
    45 karma

Hey Dustin, thanks for sharing your tips!
    RC is my weakest part ranging from -4~-10. Would you mind sharing your insights on RC strategies? I would really like some help.

• Olivia BensonOlivia Benson Member
    38 karma

I don't have any questions but wanted to thank everyone! I found these questions and responses very helpful! Thank you Dustin !

• 258 karma

Hi! I read above that you developed a new RC strategy that helped bring -6/-7 to -1/-3. Could you please elaborate on what that strategy consists of?

Another question I have is about timing. The Core Curriculum has developed a solid foundation for me which has already improved my timing because I see the test in a new light but would you have additional tips? It would be great if I could finish each section with 2-3 minutes to spare to review flagged questions. Thank you!

• any tips to get in to the 155 range