Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling a bit stuck on RC

in General 29 karma

I've been prepping for a few weeks now with a 160~ starting point. Since then, I've been putting in like 5-6 hours a day prepping. My last two-timed practice tests I've gotten perfect scores on LR and LG then like 5-8 wrong on RC. Have you guys found the RC course component here to be helpful? Hoping to break out of the low 170s.

Comments

• CSieck3507CSieck3507 Member
    1376 karma

Is it a timing issue? What is your RC BR score? Because if your -1 or -2 in BR or even -0 it could be timing. Often times I will go -6 because of the timing approaching the last passage. I always do the comparative last because even with less time I can at least read Passage A and get questions correct. But, my BR score is around -2. So, it could be timing. Often I notice that my perfect zone for reading the passage is 4 min. But, I sometimes get caught in the AC and so it costs me time. I am working on being able to eliminate AC by using my LR skills and being really critical of each AC. Also, I always try to predict an AC. On RC, you can at least I would say predict 75% of the questions.

• Braxton076-1-1Braxton076-1-1 Core Member
    50 karma

My RC section typically averages -2 with -1 or 0 on BR. I've found that what helps me is whispering the words to myself as I read and reading at a slightly slower pace so that I give myself the chance to comprehend the words I'm reading and their implications. By reading too fast, I tend to skip over information without synthesizing it mentally.

It also helps to take note in your mind of what each passage's purpose is relative to the larger argument because you'll typically see questions along the line of 'Paragraph 1 most serves the purpose of...'. Some paragraphs introduce an argument, some address opposing arguments and refute them, some outline biographical info, etc.

Once you get more practice under your belt and become more confident with RC, being sure of your answers really helps to save time for the harder passages. On the more simple questions, it may be tempting to cancel out 2 or 3 answer options to be sure you're correct. If you're 85% sure that you've found the right answer to a simple question, for example questions with one word answers or one sentence answers, trust your gut and move to the next question. By canceling out answer options on multiple questions, the time will add up and you may cost yourself an extra 2 or 3 minutes by the end of the section.

If you're only a few weeks into studying, you still have plenty of time to improve your average RC. Try out some different strategies on multiple sections and see what tactics work best for you. You got this!

• rivastobrivastob Core Member
    20 karma

I average about -2 on RC. This could be bad advice for a test prep context, but I think the reason I do well on RC is that I've spent time reading things that are just way harder than anything you'll find on the LSAT. Maybe spend a week reading some Kant or Hegel or something, get really good at parsing it, and come back to RC. I don't know if a week would be enough to develop those skills, but I do think reading really hard stuff is why I'm good at RC.

• madisont144madisont144 Member
    edited June 2022 108 karma

I'm in the exact same boat - scoring low 170s but can't get my RC down from the -6/-5-/-4 range to get my score up higher. UGH

• u______uu______u Alum Member
    233 karma

I average around -2 on RC as well. I found that my biggest issue is just psyching myself up on certain passages and trying to read too much, which causes me to overthink some questions. Toning that down and sticking to the fundamentals has helped a lot. Especially because at a -5 on RC level, I don't think actual reading comprehension is too much of an issue.

• WinningHereWinningHere Member
    417 karma

Really work on seeing the difference between them on your down to two.