PT1.S4.Q05 - senator SW reports

edited June 2022 in Logical Reasoning 206 karma

After reviewing this question, I am able to see why the right answer is correct. I just am not sure why AC C is incorrect.

He clearly states "Hooray for common sense" which appears to me as a way for him to undermine the administration's study (which I considered as his opponent) and basically say that it lacks common sense #help

Comments

• Chris NguyenChris Nguyen Alum Member Administrator Sage 7Sage Tutor
    4572 karma

Hi there!

You're right in considering the administration the senator's opponent, but I don't think you can accurately call what the senator is doing as name calling. I think name calling has to explicitly be, well, calling someone insulting names. The senator would have to be calling the administration "morons," or something close to that, which doesn't happen.

Additionally, note how (C) uses the word "expressly." The the definition of expressly is "clearly or explicitly." At the very most, I think you can say that the senator is loosely implying that the administration lacks common sense. But there isn't an explicit mention that the administration has no common sense. So (C) doesn't happen in the Senator's reasoning.

With Method of Reasoning questions, you want to make sure that you're being very nitpicky on whether something happens in the argument or not. Simply, things either happen in the argument or they don't. C is describing something that doesn't happen in the argument.

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can clarify anything for you.