Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT1.S3.Q6 The logical structure of the argument

paigeschacherpaigeschacher Core Member
edited July 2022 in Logical Reasoning 4 karma

I'm having so much difficulty with these types of problems (which argument is most similar to the structure of the paragraph), does anyone have any advice for these?

Comments

• JessDoctorateJessDoctorate Member
    edited July 2022 52 karma

I used to really struggle with parallel method of reasoning questions too. They are really big time sinks on tests even when you get better at them. I have a few tips that might help.

1. You just have to gain as much exposure to these questions as possible. Do all the core curriculum for them and drill them frequently. Be sure you have a good understanding of argument types and lawgic from the CC as well because that will help you immensely.

2. Skip them on PTs. If you already know you struggle, answer all the questions you will get right before trying the one you very well could miss. Flag it and come back at the end.

3. Look for words that point out argument types (unless, only, most, all) and compare those with the answer choices. You can usually narrow them down significantly off this alone. If the prompt says unless in the argument and an answer choice does not have an unless-type modifier as well, its wrong and can be eliminated.

4. Map it out. Take 5-10 seconds and draw out the structure of the argument. (ex: a->b unless c) Then you can draw out the structure of the answer choices and compare if you really need to. When I first started, I had to draw out both the prompt and the answer choices, now I only sometimes draw out the prompt. You adapt to it.

So for PT1 S3 Q6 the prompt says that if Max were guilty, he would not ask the police to investigate, but he did ask so he is not guilty. (Mapped out A->/B, B->/A)

B: (A->/B, C->B) Structure is wrong so the answer is wrong.
    C: (A->/B, /B->A) Wrong structure, wrong answer
    D : (A->/B, /A->B) Wrong again
    E: (A->/B, A->/B) wrong
    A: A is correct because the structure is the same If L were in the next room, I would not be able to see her, but I can see her so she is not in the next room (A->/B, B->/A)

If you have a hard time mapping the lawgic, fret not! There are other ways of spotting similarities and differences without mapping it:

A way to narrow this one down is to catch the negative-positive phrasing. The prompt and the correct choice both share the structure of saying "would not" and then "did" or "could" (He would not ask/he asked, I would not be able/I can see). This eliminates C and D because they both have a negative-negative structure (Joe would NOT want/ the fact he does NOT want, Mark would NOT put/is NOT a good cook).

B is wrong because it introduces an additional point (the Bahamas) when the prompt only has the two points.

E is wrong because it claims the sufficient condition confirms the necessary condition rather than the other way around. If answer choice E were to be correct it would have to say "If Sally were sociable, she would not avoid her friends. Therefore, the fact that she does not avoid her friends shows that she is sociable."

Hopefully that is helpful and makes sense. I would be happy to clarify if you want. Good luck!