Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Correlation indicators

Does "tend to" mean a correlation? Like for example if X tends to Y. I thought "tends to" meant causation because I thought it was saying when you have X, you'll have Y which is causation.

Comments

• baumer.ianbaumer.ian Core Member
    edited July 2022 14 karma

The answer to your question is really contingent upon the context of 'tend to.' In a more isolated sense, I would say that phrase indicates "most." Let's say that farmers tend to receive subsidies from the government. What that really is saying is that for the most part, if one is a farmer, then one receives subsidies. So, on the flip side, that means not all farmers receive subsidies. Moreover, it's important to realize that while this relationship is not sufficient to prove causation, it is a precondition for causation. If most farmers receive subsidies, that doesn't guarantee that ALL of them do. But if all farmers do in fact receive subsidies, then it is also true that most of them do.

• kolerv9923-1kolerv9923-1 Member
    edited July 2022 50 karma

@"baumer.ian" to be more specific, I was doing PT79 S1 Q7. I thought the first sentence was a causation but I don't know the more I look at it, there were other things I'm confused about this question. Like, how do we go from "hindering financial prosperity --> hindering political freedom". Whenever I do Principle/PSAa/PSAr questions, I never have to make leaping assumptions like that. I've seen it a couple times in PT80s and this one.

Like I get how the first sentence says, bringing in more economic prosperity increases political freedom. Could you actually reverse this by saying less economic prosperity into less political freedom?

Or is it because the conclusion is about hindering growth, which in way is like potential growth. If you do something that isn't increasing economic prosperity, you are hindering its potential growth and thereby hindering the growth of political freedom.

• baumer.ianbaumer.ian Core Member
    14 karma

Sorry, but I don't think you're referring to PT79 S1 Q7, which is about the journalist's argument about the mayor's boldness. If you can point me to the right question, I wouldn't mind giving my thoughts. Cheers.

• kolerv9923-1kolerv9923-1 Member
    50 karma

@"baumer.ian" sorry I meant PT79 S4 Q17

• Glutton for the LSATGlutton for the LSAT Alum Member
    551 karma

Following