Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

strengthen/weaken questions

Aiesha G.Aiesha G. Alum Member
Surprisingly I am very strong in LR sections and I almost always get these right. The problem is I don't know why. Lol. Intuitively I guess I understand the question stem well but I feel as if I do not even after getting it right. I think I am confused about how I am using the flaw to derive at the correct answer.

When answering these questions I read the stem first, identify conclusion and support and then the flaw. But I don't think I actually use the flaw to get the right answer unless I am doing so sub-consciously. Is a strengthening question simply a matter of making the flaw "work" in the argument so that the conclusion of that argument is valid or more likely to be valid?

In weakening, it is the reverse so is it a matter of exposing the flaw and using it to make the "holes" in argument more noticeable so that the conclusion is invalid or less valid?

I guess I shouldn't freak out since I only get one or two wrong. But I am using the trainer and trying my best to incorporate Mike's train of thought to avoid loopholes in my fundamentals later.

Comments

• Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    Yeah, I would say both types of questions revolve around the assumptions the argument is making when drawing the conclusion from the set of premises. In strengthening questions, you're affirming these assumptions, thereby giving the argument more support, in weakening questions, you're denying this assumption and taking away its support.

I'm assuming you're working through the process of elimination to get to the correct answer choice? If so, this is also a good way to tackle questions. Nothing feels better when you knock out every other answer choice confidently to arrive at the correct one.

• Aiesha G.Aiesha G. Alum Member
    199 karma
    @Matt1234567 thanks for responding and yes I am using process of elimination to get the right answer. It does feel rather
    nice lol.