PTA.S4.Q20 - all orchid species that are pollinated

nicole mnicole m Alum Member
edited August 2022 in Logical Reasoning 6 karma

I don't understand why the answer is D. I know why the answer is not A, B, C, or E. But D doesn't make sense to me. What is the exact characteristic being discussed? Is it the tendrils on the new orchid species or "pollinated solely by insects"? Also, where in the argument does it claim that something is unique.

Comments

• MindtheGAAP28MindtheGAAP28 Member
    72 karma

If we break down the stimulus as

For Orchid species,

Premise: Pollinated solely by insects -> Have features that attract insects.

Premise: This new specific flower attracts insects.

Conclusion: This specific flower is pollinated solely by insects.

Assumption: Having features that attract insects -> Pollinated solely by insects.

Flaw: Mistaking necessary & sufficient conditions. Just because the specific flower attracts insects, does not mean it is pollinated solely by insects.

Also the argument assumes that having this feature of attracting insects is sufficient to be pollinated solely by insects. So in D, it treats the characteristic (having features that attract insects) as if it were a characteristic only applicable to orchid species pollinated solely by insects. This means it's assuming that if it's a feature that attracts insects, it must be pollinated solely by insects. So if you're ever in the necessary condition, you're always in the sufficient condition in the first premise above.

Hope that helps!