Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting Accommodations

Caffeinated99Caffeinated99 Core Member
in General 62 karma

Hi all,

So when I was little (like 8), I was diagnosed with a learning disability similar to dyslexia. Because of my learning disability, I have always (including in high school and university) had learning accommodations, including extra time on tests.

Because I have never taken the SAT (I'm Canadian) or any other standardised tests accepted by LSAC, I have to provide proof of my learning disability and previous use of accommodations to them. I have documentation from both my university and my high school, which verifies my disability and the use of accommodations on all previous tests (including my diplomas).

I am struggling with getting a qualified professional to fill out the qualified professional form. When I called them and asked who counts as a qualified professional, they said it had to be a doctor who had previously assessed me. Unfortunately, the last person who assessed me seems to be inaccessible. I've done everything I can think of to contact her! I've looked on Linkedin, called my high school because she worked with them, and even called the psychologist association to see if they could contact her on my behalf. Still nothing. I've also tried seeing if another psychologist could reevaluate me, and it seems like I don't have the time or resources to get reevaluated in time.

So what I am wondering is if anyone has been in a similar situation or knows anyone who has and can give me some advice! Do you think they will grant my request even without a qualified professional? Am I misunderstanding who counts as a qualified professional or missing something? Any advice or insight would be great!

If you read this far, thank you! I'm terrified of having to take this test without accommodations because it will be the first I take a test without them in my life :(

Comments

• sandra.looslesandra.loosle Member
    38 karma

I just used my primary care doctor.

• sdumlaosdumlao Member
    edited August 2022 187 karma

Hi @TalyMary ,

It's totally ok to feel overwhelmed and scared about accommodations. I've been there too!

I'll preface this long response by saying that I am not an expert on this or a qualified professional and what I say here is not one size fits all nor is it the end all be all on this subject. I'm just a peer trying to help :smiley:

Like @"sandra.loosle" said, a primary care doctor, or other medical professional who is familiar with your diagnosis can fill out the qualified professional form. I think the important things about the medical professional are 1) they possess professional credentials appropriate to be familiar with your diagnosis- this could be a variety of and not exclusively limited to: MD, DO, DNP, NP, PA, PA-C, PsychD, and/ or certain types of therapists as well, etc.; and 2) you've met with this medical provider/qualified professional to discuss your disability and your concerns in a candid way, somewhat recently. The medical provider/ qualified professional will let you know if they feel comfortable filling out this form and if they feel they are qualified to speak on your disability.

You'll also have a place in your accommodation request (candidate form) to provide a personal statement of need that you fill out where you can let them know about your disability, how it affects your ability to take the test, why you need accommodations and how you have previously been accommodated etc.

Personally, I turned in qualified professional forms from both my provider who handles my medications and the psychD who diagnosed me in addition to my evaluation results and my own statement of need. My request was approved in about a week--LSAC can take up to two weeks to get back to you. Basically, I gave them probably way more than they wanted to see and let the LSAC make the decision as to if it was enough.

If your request for accommodations is denied you are allowed an appeal process; two business days to let them know of your intent to appeal, then four calendar days to submit an appeal. HOWEVER, if you do find yourself in the position of needing to appeal you have to submit your appeal no later than 12 calendar days before your scheduled test date, otherwise you will have to move your test date. Some advice I was given before submitting my request for accommodations was to do it as early as possible--at least a month before the deadline to submit the request, if at all possible--just so you don't have the stress of whether you'll get approved looming over you in the days preceding the test. More about the appeal process here: https://www.lsac.org/lsat/lsac-policy-accommodations-test-takers-disabilities/appeal-procedure-accommodation-requests

I hope this helps! Good luck!

-S.

P.S. If you want, I can PM you with some articles that I found helpful in my own process too.

• Caffeinated99Caffeinated99 Core Member
    62 karma

@sdumlao Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it! I am going to see my GP next week to see if she's okay with filling out the form :)