Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ADHD & LSAT Accommodations

natcabrera101natcabrera101 Free Trial Member
in General 13 karma

Hi all I am trying to gauge my chance of getting LSAT extra time accommodations. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Back story:
I was diagnosed with ADHD as a
kid and was on an IEP from 3rd grade
until HS. I then insisted on not being on
an IEP in Hs it because as a teenager I
was very anxious about the stigma it
came with at my school.

I was prescribed medication for ADHD until
sophomore year in college but never
completed an application for
accomadations during my studies. I
struggled in college with not receiving
accommodations but still pushed
through.

I am 27 now and have been
working in legal advocacy and
alternatives to incarceration for young
people with open court cases for the
past 4/5 years.

I am currently struggling with the LSAT
and can never finish a section
completely on time because it takes me sometimes a few minutes to even process the text. I continue to study but sometimes it feels impossible to be successful.

I want to get accommodations for extra
time but I'm afraid I won't because I
went without them for so long. Wish I
could go back now and tell my younger
self to ask for help but we are here now.

Does anyone have experience with this
stuff? Wondering what my chances are
with receiving an extra time
accommodation? Do you need a new
adult diagnosis? I've remained in
therapy for adhd/anxiety since I was 13.
Perhaps a letter from my current
provider and past ones will be enough
without the history of accommodations?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much!

Comments

• daniella.auerbach17daniella.auerbach17 Core Member
    20 karma

You'll have the easiest time. I was approved in less than 24 hours for anxiety. I was diagnosed only two years ago, no history of accommodations. A letter from your provider saying you need it is more than enough. Best of luck!

• Savannah BSavannah B Member
    34 karma

yes you will be totally fine! Mine took like a full week but I was diagnosed with ADHD six years ago and have no history of accommodations

• I was also diagnosed with ADHD as a kid (in the early 90s) and was on Ritalin until 10. I never had any IEP accommodations though, and was actually in my elementary school's gifted program. Throughout the rest of my early education and early college years (pursuing my associate's degree) I did not seek treatment for my ADHD. It wasn't until I was in my late 20s when I realized that how much my ADHD had been affecting me all these years. I wanted to return to school to pursue my bachelor's degree and my dream of going to law school. So it was then that I decided that I wanted to seek treatment for my ADHD. I was put on medication to help with my symptoms, but having grown up with the idea that ADHD wasn't a disability, I also never applied for any accommodations. Primarily because I hadn't even thought to look into them for myself since I didn't think that ADHD was something that college would allow accommodations for, let alone the LSAT.

It wasn't until I was reading an LSAT subreddit post where someone was asking a similar question about applying for accommodations for the LSAT for their ADHD. The most common response was basically saying that it couldn't hurt to try. So I figured I'd give it a go myself since, like you, timing has always been a HUGE issue for me, not just on the LSAT but timed tests in general. So I applied for 50% additional time for the LSAT and the LSAT Written sample.

I had to reach out to my doctor who did need to include a written statement verifying my diagnosis as well as explaining how she felt 50% additional time would help me and I also had to write a personal statement explaining why I was asking for 50% additional time. Within that statement I also provided a brief overview of how my lack of accommodations in the past negatively affected my ability to perform to the best of my ability.

Within 24-48 hours I was notified that I had been granted the 50% additional time accommodations for my LSAT and written sample. I think that you'll likely be approved without issue, especially since you have a history of having had accommodations in the past. A letter from your doctor and your own statement will probably be more than satisfactory. Good luck! :)

• natcabrera101natcabrera101 Free Trial Member
    13 karma

You guys are all so great this was so helpful honestly life changing to hear everyone’s experience and know that I have a chance at getting this accommodation!! I really appreciate all of your replies so much. I feel uplifted and I’m motivated to get my documents together to apply for the extra time. Glad to see other folks with adhd and or other disabilities or mental health diagnoses can be successful and pursue law 🥰 Thank you all for the advice and sharing your stories!!