Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improving endurance/stamina on RC

profile427profile427 Alum Member
edited July 2015 in General 213 karma
Hi All,

I'm a reader. I love reading. However, I'm finding that my mind is wandering somewhat out of control (most likely due to anxiety, not boredom) with Reading Comp. I'm concerned that on test day, the same will happen. I did take the LSAT back in 2013, but I don't really remember my RC experience. (I will look back at my score to see how I did, though).

What are some tips for increasing stamina/endurance? I feel like RC is becoming a [soy] hot dog eating contest for my brain.

Let me add - I'm not talking about reading speed, as this is not an issue, but rather timely comprehension and retention.

#2 Additional thought - I'm finding that my mind wanders with the abstract stories, rather than the more concrete stuff, such as stories about paintings, trees and animals, and Native Americans.

One technique that I've been considering is flipping through the passages and moving on immediately from the flowers and butterflies and attacking the [personally] harder stuff first and then returning to the flowers and butterflies. Thoughts on that?

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I wouldn't bother skipping around as it may have unintended consequences (e.g.- bubbling errors) and wouldn't likely help that much. I think the best advice I've seen about this is to just feign interest for those 3.5 minutes that it takes to read the passage. Another technique is to read very critically/suspiciously as if you don't trust the author and want to be convinced of what they're saying. And finally, just don't get caught up in the details because I think doing that tends to make the mind wander to related things in order to try to parse out all the minutiae. Keep your focus at the proper level and it shouldn't be too hard to get through without daydreaming.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Just a thought here - you may be thinking too much about the "what" and not enough about the "why."

I find that as I'm reading a passage I'm constantly thinking, "why has the author written this section?" and not so much about the specifics of the content. You need to know how the information fits into the overall structure of the argument and you need to be able to quickly recall where the information is located in case you stumble across a related detail question but aside from that the details are fairly irrelevant and should be "released" from your brain as quickly as possible to make room for more relevant information.

This has led to less mental fatigue for me personally but everyone is different (especially in RC). I read a section (sometimes I group two related paragraphs together), form my own quick one-liner to synthesis the information, chain them together as I go along. "Releasing" the details is easier on the brain and can help speed things up a bit or at the very least speed things up in certain sections and allow more time on important, main point-ish sections.

Keeping a clear task in mind as you work through the passages may also help keeping the mind wandering under control.

I hope this helps.
  • profile427profile427 Alum Member
    213 karma
    Thank you both, this is very helpful! I think that my current problem is that indeed I'm trying too hard to retain all of the "whats" rather than focus on the "whys." I like the idea of reading more critically/suspiciously.
  • gs556gs556 Member Inactive Sage
    568 karma
    @brna0714 and @Pacifico are on point. Skipping around could cost you on test-day (bubbling issues). Read with a curious mind and always think about what points the author is trying to make. I also found interacting with the passage by circling, underlining,and scratching down notes was a good way to stay engaged.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Agree with @brna0714! Asking "why" is a great way to stay engaged and improve understanding. Also, previewing the passages may end up costing you a minute or so of test time which could make the difference between finishing the last two questions and guessing on them. IMO, its an unnecessary and inefficient use of time that could potentially backfire on you (i.e. bubbling).