Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low Timed Test, High Blind Review?

sadeajayi21sadeajayi21 Core Member
in General 14 karma

This keeps happening to me. My blind review is 14 points higher than my timed score.

Comments

• blanklawblanklaw Member
    490 karma

This was happening to me a few months ago as well-- I think the key thing that helped me was to solidify processes and have good time management strategies.

• Matt SorrMatt Sorr Alum Member
    edited October 2022 2239 karma

I think @blanklaw nailed it. I'm sure the tutors or sages could explain it better/give better advice, but I think it largely comes down to figuring out how best to approach each section and learning to bet on yourself. By figuring out how to approach each section, I mean creating a process that makes it nearly mindless for you. For instance, when doing LR, you may decide that you will get through the first fifteen questions in fifteen minutes, for instance. Additionally, you may want to experiment with how you flag questions. So perhaps you could write all questions that you flagged but you're relatively confident about on the far left side of your scratch paper, all questions you skipped because they look time-consuming but doable in the middle of your paper, and all questions you're totally lost on the far right side of your paper (or some variation of this). Perhaps with LG you could tell yourself you'll skip miscellaneous games, for instance, and for RC maybe you could learn what works best for you with notating (or not notating).

By betting on yourself, I mean learning to stop 100% verifying each answer choice and instead being confident enough to move on. You simply won't have a great shot at each question in a section if you spend too much time verifying your answers. Sure, you may have an occasional LG section where you absolutely fly through the questions and pretty much get to verify everything, but it's unlikely. So when doing LG, you may need to practice enough to be confident in your board so that when you get to an AC "works," you mark it and move on without checking the others. In LR and RC it's not as cut and dry, of course, but, particularly with easier questions towards the front of the sections, instead of deeply analyzing each AC, if you're nearly positive you know the answer choice before looking at the answers and then you find that AC, you've got to just briefly read through the other ACs and move on. If you don't, you won't have enough time on the tougher questions.

I hope this helps some!